Chapter Twenty-One: Return

"There goes my heart beating,
And you are the reason."

~

I slept the whole flight and was woken up by Kade as soon as we'd landed. I notice I am more shy after our... encounter. But at the same time, I felt more comfortable with him.

The few hours we had together in the limo made me feel more relaxed as we laughed and shared a light meal, which lead us to our current conversation of our favourite food.

He tells me of his typical werewolf-love for red meats which doesn't surprise me, as I have witnessed him devouring large servings of meat during meals. I speak of my terrible sweet tooth for sugary treats and how I would only eat sweets for the rest of my life if I could.

"We have arrived to the palace your highnesses." The driver interrupts our conversation through the intercom.

My head snaps to look out the window, and sure enough, the palace is in the distance looking as magnificent as I remember. I was so engrossed in conversation that I didn't notice the time and cities pass by.

Kade holds a button as he responds.

"Thank you."

Nervous flutters burst in my stomach in anticipation.

I begin to realise that Kade hasnt mentioned if he has spoken to his parents of my return with him.

I hope they aren't bothered with my presence, I did leave abruptly the day before our wedding. I think as I recall the very distasteful outfit I wore the day I left. The photograph of me that made front page that day still haunts me.

"Do they know I'm with you?" I ask Kade. He looks at me confused.

"Who, my parents?" He asks in which I respond with a nod.

"Oh no they don't. I thought I would surprise them." He smirks.

My nerves increase and finds it's way to my throat. I gulp hard and look outside the window, watching as the trees and footpaths pass by as we get the closer we get to the palace. Worry dawns on me as I see the large gates come into view.

Kade seems to sense my unease and kisses the back of my hand.

"Hey." Kade says softly to get my attention. I look at him and he gives me a warm comforting grin.

"Relax. My family will be happy to see you." He says.

Perhaps, but they're not the only people I'm worried about seeing. I think self-consciously as I remember whom else I am doomed to run into.

We arrive sooner than I'd expected. I barely had a minute to calm myself before the door is pulled open.

Kade is first to step out and before he gets the chance to speak, Queen Jillian is marching over to her son with a furious look on her face.

"Do you know how worried I've been?! You better have a good explanation-." She stops mid sentence when she sees me step out from the car behind him.

King Silus and Princess Lilith are also visibly shocked to see me.

"Hi um. It's nice to see you all again." I greet them in a quiet voice and a timid smile.