1 ~ The Boy

Kageyama had always been naturally gifted when it came to volleyball. However, others on his team had a hard time keeping up with him. His sets were often hard to hit since they were so fast and accurate.

He tried to control everything on the court, earning him the nickname king of the court. His middle school teammates determined he was a tyrant and decided they would rebel against him. This left Kageyama completely alone on the court with no teammates by his side to help him.

The memory caused Kageyama to stir in his sleep. As he remembered sending that last set with no one there to spike it, he shuttered. This caused him to wake in a pile of sweat. "Things will be different this year" he whispered into the darkness of his room. He tried to fall back asleep, but all he could do was think about his new teammates he would meet the next day. It was his first day of high school, but he didn't care about making friends. Who needed friends anyways? He only cared about the volleyball team.

Will they be able to hit my sets? What if I'm not good enough or they don't need me? What if they have no time for a tyrant? These questions were spinning around his head not allowing him to sleep at all.

On the outside Kageyama put up a cold front, he couldn't be bothered with most people. He didn't see the point of being friendly just because others were. Kageyama didn't like wasting his time either, so he figured that friends would just take up time that could be spent practicing volleyball.

Although Kageyama was mean on the outside, he was currently a total wreck on the inside. All he wanted was someone to spike his sets, and a team that wouldn't abandon him. Taking a deep sigh Kageyama realized that he wasn't going to fall back to sleep.

He leaned over and clicked his phone seeing the time was 4:30 AM, he rolled out of bed. Missing his footing due to exhaustion causing himself to fall to the ground. "Damn" Kageyama mumbled to himself.

Keep it together.

He fumbled down the stairs after changing into his new uniform, that still smelt like the store. Having a few bites of cereal with milk, he focused hard on what he would say to the team.

Hi I'm Kageyama I am interested in setting as a position.

Hello, I was setter for Kitagawa.

He shook his head twice grabbing a volleyball and his bag. He went out the front door quietly shutting it behind him. He swiftly moved to side of the house where he could volley the ball off the wall while he waited to walk to school. After about an hour and a half he decided it was late enough to leave, he was hoping to even maybe make it early enough to meet some of the team before school started. Tucking the volleyball between his arm and his side, and pulling his bag over his shoulders he started off to school.

Normally he would bike but the chain on his bike was broken, so he had to walk for a while. Kageyama kept a fast pace as he traveled down the hill leading to Karasuno highschool. He was staring staraight down, still thinking about what he would say to the captain. He was so focused that he didn't see the other boy. An orange haired boy with a bright smile was skipping up the hill as Kageyama walked down.

Kageyama then bumped right into the boy, knocking him over. "Watch it!" Kageyama snapped instinctively. The boy on the ground looked at Kageyama, he was no longer smiling, he wasn't angry either. The boy had a look of complete shock on his face. Kageyama found it a little strange but he didn't comment on it.

The kid must be going to his middle school he thought to himself feeling a little guilty for knocking the short boy over. "My...bad" he reluctantly said, despite feeling like they were equally at fault.

The boy smiled suddenly. It was very abrupt, but the smile looked genuine and cheerful. "It's fine!" he said jumping to his feet. His eyes suddenly lit up, "is that a volleyball" he asked excitedly jumping towards Kageyama.

"Um...yeah" Kageyama answered wanting to walk away from the conversation now. He had no interest in talking about volleyball with some kid. "Shouldn't you be off to your middle school now?" he asked hoping this would trigger the boys memory causing him to run off. "No, I'm not in middle school. I'm a high schooler!" the orange haired boy said seeming offended by the question. This caused Kageyama to roll his eyes making the short boy to stick out his tongue.

"So, you go to Karasuno then?" Kageyama asked. The boys expression went from a bright smile to a sad expression. "Well...um...no I guess" he said looking down. Kageyama noticed the change in his expression, but he really didn't want to comment on it. So he just ignored it.

"I have to go now. You are going to make me late" he said not bothering to ask where the boy attended. "Oh already?" he seemed disappointed. This confused Kageyama though, didn't he have his own friends to bother? Kageyama didn't care that much though, so he turned and began to walk away.

"Wait" the boy called out. Kageyama stopped and turned to face him. He raised his eyebrows as if to ask, what? "I'm Shoyo Hinata, and I'm a spiker!" he said the words proudly. Kageyama did not respond to his words, he simply turned and began to walk away. Hinata ran to catch up to him, and then kept pace with Kageyama.

"What do you want?" Kageyama asked staring straight ahead refusing to turn his head to look at Hinata. "I want to know your name" he said smiling brightly "I thought that was obvious" he added.

"Fine, Tobio Kageyama" he replied quickening his pace, hoping Hinata would get the point that he didn't want to talk to him. But Hinata skipped along catching up to Kageyama.

"What position do you play Kageyama?" he asked cheerfully. Kageyama glanced over at Hinata, confused as to why he was still following him. Doesn't he have anywhere else to be? Or someone else he can bother?

"I'm the setter" he said hoping that the boys curiosity would be filled and he would leave. "Wow, that's pretty cool!" Hinata said in admiration "but nowhere near as cool as a spiker" he added in.

"What do you mean!? The setter is the BEST position! You get complete control over everything" Kageyama yelled a little insulted. "Yeah, I guess. But the spiker gets to slam the ball down and the crowd goes wild as they all cheer for you!" Kageyama could hear the excitement in Hinatas voice as he said those words. "Whatever" Kageyama said "I have to go now and you do too. So I'm going to continue on my way to Karasuno and you just go wherever it is you need to be" he said a little harsher than he meant to.

"You know, you're kind of mean Kageyama" Hinata whinned but then he stopped walking. "Okay then bye! I hope to see you again Kageyama!" he said as he skipped back the way up the hill they just came down.

"Strange guy" Kageyama mumbled to himself as he continued to walk to school.