8 ~ Nickname

When Kageyama got back home from the camp it was raining out. He walked up his steps not surprised to see Hinata there. Kageyama was a little frustrated by the camp, his sets weren't going the way he wanted them to and his team lost almost every set.

Hinata smiled when he saw that his friend was home. "You look tired and frustrated" he said still smilng.

"Well yeah I guess I am" Kageyama replied, then looking at Hinata in confusion he asked "why are you so happy anyways?"

"Well I knew you would be like this when you got home. You'd be all like 'my sets just aren't good enough'" Hinata said in a mocking voice, then he smiled again "so I made you something, close your eyes."

Kageyama obeyed Hinatas request and he felt something being put on his head. "What's that?" he asked opening his eyes.

"A crown, to remind you how great you are!" Hinata said cheerfully. Kageyama scowled "I told you I'm not the king anymore idiot"

"Yeah well I told you that king is a great nickname. Rather than abandoning the name, make it mean what you want it to" he said sticking his tongue out. At that Kageyama couldn't help but smile a little.

"Now come on" Hinata said jumping off the step onto the driveway. "Where? It's raining, you idiot" Kageyama said looking at Hinata getting wet on the driveway.

"Exactly! Trust me this is the perfect way to let out your frustration!" he said waving his hand to signal Kageyama to join him.

Kageyama sighed, then he placed the homemade crown down on the step so he wouldn't ruin it. He took a full jump off the porch right over the steps to join Hinata, which caused Hinata to laugh.

The rain was getting heavier. The two of them were soaked and walking down the sidewalk. Hinata jumped into a giant puddle, soaking Kageyama. In response Kageyama also jumped, getting Hinata back.

At the last house before the hill Hinata stopped to grab two cardboard boxes out of the recycle bin on the curb. "What are those for," Kageyama questioned but Hinata only gave him a devilish smile.

They walked to the hill, when they arrived there instead of continuing down Hinata climbed over the rail to get off the road. "Now, we go down this way" Hinata said signal to the dirt part of the hill that had turned to mud.

"Are you crazy! We will hit a tree" Kageyama objected. But Hinata hopped onto his cardboard and began to slide down "race you to the bottom" he yelled.

"Hey! No fair you got a head start!" Kageyama yelled as he took a run and hopped onto his cardboard.

Kageyama was picking up speed fast, he could feel his heart pounding. It was like the rush he would get when the ball was coming his way and he could set it. He had almost caught up to Hinata. Since he was heavier than Hinata he was picking up more speed.

When Hinata noticed that Kageyama was about to pass him, he grabbed a handful of mud and chucked it in Kageyamas direction. Hitting Kageyamas chest, Kageyama angerly yelled "that's it!" as he also grabbed a handful of mud to fling it at Hinata.

Hinata got hit right in the face causing Kageyama to laugh. Hinata then got to his feet, crouching on his cardboard. Kageyama was confused, but it was hard to see with all the rain coming down.

Hinata then took a leap off his board and landed on Kageyamas tackling him off, until the two boys were both rolling down the hill.

When they finally made it to the bottom of the hill they both had an unspoken agreement to hurry under the trees to take cover. Kageyama and Hinata were both drenched and covered in mud.

The trees did a good job of blocking out the rain, although there was the odd sprinkle down. Kageyama and Hinata both lay on the ground looking up at the leaves on the trees.

"You really are an idiot you know" Kageyama said not turning his head. "That's mean" Hinata said, but without even looking at him Kageyama could tell that the other boy was smiling.

"So, tell me about the camp!" Hinata asked excitedly. "Well" Kageyama began "there was this third year on Fukurodani, he had white and black hair, and he could spike the ball like crazy! It was insane! Oh and this second year on Nekoma, he was an incredible setter, he had so much strategy and tactics behind his sets! There was also this guy who was like a giant! Six foot four I think!"

Kageyama began telling Hinata everything. Hinata sat there gasping in amazement. "You know Hinata, you were really bad when I first met you, but now I think you could actually fit in with some of these people. You know, at the bottom of the pack though" Kageyama said this time glancing over at Hinata.

Kageyama didn't hear the 'you're so mean' he was expecting though. Instead Hinata looked over at him his eyes gleaming "really?!" he asked excitedly. Kageyama nodded his head in response.

"Kageyama, I have a question for you" Hinata said resuming his gaze to the trees. "Shoot" Kageyama said not knowing what the question might be.

"Do you wish that we never ran into each other on that hill months ago?" he asked the question normally. "Yeah, you're really annoying" Kageyama said trying to make a joke, but when Hinata didn't laugh he answered honestly "no, I'm glad that I met the annoying orange haired boy, because that boy is the only real friend I have ever had."

At this Hinata looked over at him. "I don't want to ever leave, I like spending time with you. Even if you are a big jerk" Hinata said.

Kageyama looked over at him "why would you have to leave?" he asked, Hinata just shrugged and the two of them continued to watch the leaves move with the rain.

After the rain settled down a bit the two of them hurried home. Both taking different paths once they made it up that hill.

When Kageyama arrived back at his house, he saw the crown still sitting there. He smiled at it.

I can make the name mean whatever I want it to mean.

Kageyama then picked up the crown and carefully placed it on his dresser. "He's such a strange boy" he said looking at the crown, a grin finding its way across his face.