Chp. 20- Nights Like These

*Taylor*

My nose filled with the delicious scent of lasagna, making my mouth water. Pamela really is a good cook, I'll give her that. "Taylor, set out some plates for dinner." She instructed.

I was irritated by her sudden demanding, but I knew it was probably her damn girl harmones are whatever talking. I got up and grabbed forks and plates and put them on the table. Pamela and I were somewhat getting along better, but sometimes it seemed like she didn't have a fucking off button.

My dad walked in and a smile spread to his face. He could also tell the way I was slowly pulling out of my grudge, but anger still fueled inside me for him. For what, I don't quiet know. "Smells amazing babe." He leaned and pecked Lilian on the lips, making me cringe.

My thoughts were distracted when my phone rang from my pocket. "Hello?" I answered into the phone.

All I could hear was a girl's unsteady breaths on the other line. "Taylor?" the girl said. My stomach nearly dropped.

"Sarah?"

"Please, Taylor.. can you please come by?" Her voice was ragged and shaky. "I'm not okay right now."

I immediately bolted up from the chair I was sitting in. "I'm on my way." I hung up the phone and grabbed my dad's car keys. My dad and Pamela both gave me a stunned and confused look. "Taylor where are you going? It's dinner time." My dad called after me.

"I'm not hungry." I muttered rushing out the door.

Of course I was starving, but I had to get to Sarah. My mind was racing, assuming the worst. Did she get mugged? Did they touch her? Did her parents drop by? Was she arrested again? Endless possibilities seeped through my mind as I drove to her apartment.

..

I ran down the hallway and to her apartment, frantically pounding on the door, not caring if I fucking disturbed anyone. All I cared about was getting to Sarah. I hope she doesn't do anything stupid.

Please, God. Please let her be alright.

The door swung open, revealing a small, vunerable, crying Sarah. Dark bags surrounded her stressed green eyes, tears chained her cheeks, and her chest was moving at a rapid speed. My eyes traveled from her face down to her hand. She was holding something black.. her notebook. It was opened slightly, Sarah's thumb bookmarking a page.

Oh god. She was reading her old diary.

"Taylor.." her voice cracked as she spoke. "Please.. please take this pain away." Something inside me stung and ache at her words. She wanted me to release her from this pain. She wanted me to make her okay again. She needed me. No one else.

So I did the first thing that came to mind. I grabbed her arm that carried the notebook, and pulled her to me. The book fell from her hand as I wrapped my arms tightly around shoulders, basking in her sweet scent. My actions stunned her at first, but she recovered quickly after, holding her arms around my waist as she burried her face in my chest and sobbed. I tried to soothe her as she wept, whispering, "It's okay. It's going to be okay. I'm here now."

She nodded, but only to lessen her sobs just a bit. We stood there in her doorway for a good 10 minutes before her cries turned to sniffles and she finally pulled away. I looked down at my shirt that was literally soaking in tears. "I'm sorry." She sniffled, wiping her face with her sleeve. A light chuckle escaped my lips. "It's okay." I shrugged.

Her hand reached for mine, and a familiar warmth spread across my chest as she tangled our fingers together. "Come inside." She smiled warily. "Let me get you a new shirt."