Chp. 13- Too Old For A Diary

*Taylor*

"So what do you want for dinner?" Sarah asked me from her kitchen. I've been staying here for a couple of days after the fight with my dad. I was trying to avoid any contact with him and his bimbo girlfriend. I'd drop by when they weren't home to grab some clothes. Sarah didn't mind my company, she said her roomate was away at college and she wouldn't be back till next weekend.

"I'm not hungry." I replied.

"You haven't ate all day."

"I said I'm not hungry."

"Come on, Taylor. All you've done is sleep or stratch your balls on that couch. You need something in your system.

"Why don't you stop worrying about me." I snapped. Of course I appreciated Sarah giving me a place to crash, but she could be annoying. She wanted to know every single detail about me but I always refused since she never cared to share anything about her. She usually ignored my nasty attitude, but not this time.

"Hey. Don't go off on me because your dad fucked his secretary while your mom was out cleaning after your shit."

I immediately jumped up from the couch. "Don't you dare act like you're perfect! At least my parents didn't kick me out to the fucking curb!"

Her eyebrows were furrowed together in anger while her tiny fists balled at her side. I knew she was doing everything in her power not to slap the shit out of me. Instead she stormed out the apartment, slamming the door behind her.

A part of me wanted to go after her and apologize for what I said. I knew I took it too far. But my mind was too clouded with my own problems, I didn't bother. Sarah may be small but her rage is bigger than her size. She'll be fine on her own.

I stood there for a moment before slowly making myself to her room. The couch was hurting my back and it's been a while before I slept in a bed.

I opened the door to find a small bed in the corner with a bunch of clothes stacked on top of it. I looked around at her naked dark blue walls while white dry wall chipped through. Her closet was as big as her bed, clothes lazily hung and shoes thrown around. I turned my attention to her small wooden desk. The drawer only creaked open a little bit but my curiousity was growing.

A black notebook sat at the bottom of the drawer under tons of papers and folders. I know it's wrong to go looking through her personal things, but the only reasoning I had was that I barely knew her. She only gave me scraps of her life. I wanted to know her. Given me spending so much time around her, I had to know something about her.

I opened the notebook to find entries written inside. It was her diary. Isn't she too old to have a diary? I stopped at the first page of her notebook.

August 24, 2012
Its my first week of being a sophmore in high school. After years of homeschooling, mom and dad finally enrolled me to public school.The kids are nice so far but there's the guys are completely perverted. One tried to life my skirt up in the cafeteria. Too embarassed by him and his friend's laughter by his little sick joke I just ran to the bathroom. It smelled like tampons in there but it was better than going back inside to see everybody laugh at me. I hope school doesn't suck this much..

I skimmed through the pages more.

November 2nd, 2012
And just when I thought all guys were hopeless, then came him. He's new here but I can't help but stare into his beautiful hazel eyes. And the way his black hair is gelled into perfection. Other girls drool over him in the hallways, but my heart nearly bursted out of my chest when he smiled at ME. I know he's older than me, and I must seem naive, but I don't care. I felt a connection as soon as we saw each other. I wonder of he felt it too..

Sarah in love? That's a shock. I didn't know she was capable of actually showing emotion. I searched for other interesting pages until I stopped on one.

January 13th, 2013
He actually offered to help me study after school! I knew these stolen glances and short flirty conversations weren't for nothing. I don't care how reckless I'm being right now. He's all I want. And if he gives me the chance, I can make him the happiest man in the world..

February 9th, 2013
Were going on a date! He's taking me to a movie and a fancy resturaunt after. He's so sweet to me. I have really strong feelings towards him. And now that I know he feels the same, maybe we could actually work? I just hope that everybody else could see that..

I stopped when I heard loud thumps coming from outside the front door. Shit. I hope she's not home. I threw the notebook under the bed and hurried out of her room. I opened the front door to find two drunk guys stumble through the hallway. Great. I walked back into her room and retrieved her notebook. I began to read again.

May 20th, 2013
My parents found out about him. They told me to stay away from him because he's going to ruin my life. I knew they wouldn't understand, no one would. But I love him. And he loves me. And after our special night together, I know we were made for each other. I don't care about anyone but him. He makes me happy. Why can't they see that?..

I stopped at the last page that was written in the diary.

June 23rd, 2013
Were running away. I can't do this amymore. My parents threatened to call the cops on us but he told me we will be way out of the state before they can pick up the phone. Were starting a new life together. I'm going to drop out of school and were both are going to find a job. But before we go, my appointment is tomorrow to check up on things. Hopefully I'm fine but if not, I know he'll be there to support me. This is my last time writing in this notebook. Wish me luck.

I closed the diary and put it back under the stacks of paper in the drawer and shut it. I layed myself down on Sarah's bed and stared at the ceiling. I thought that reading her entries would make me find out more information about her. Now I'm more curious than ever. Who's the secret boyfriend? Why did her parents disapprove so much? If she ran away, why is she still here? What happened to him?

Ideas reeled through my mind until my eyes started to close, ending my questions with sleep.

..

I woke up to the sound of glass shattering. I jolted off her bed and into the kitchen. There Sarah was on her knees bending over to pick up pieces of broken glass.

"What the fuck happened?" I asked looking down at her.

Her head turned towards me. Her eyes were shot red and glossy and the smell of alcohol lingered off of her.

"Are you drunk?"

"Shh." She smiled while putting a finger to her mouth. "I just wanted some water but the glass fucking fell from the counter."

"Here let me help you." I said carefully picking up the pieces before throwing them away. "Go get some sleep. You'll just have to deal with the hangover in the morning."

"I like this Taylor. He's very sweet to me. He's better than the asshole Taylor." She laughed.

I chuckled while I guided her to the room. Then I heard a knock at the door. "Wait here." I said leaving Sarah's side.

I opened the door and two cops stood outside. "Is this the residence of Sarah Hart?"

"No." I lied. "What's the problem officers?"

"Excuse me, sir but I'm going to have to ask you to stand back while we look inside the apartment." One of the cops said.

"No need for that." I heard Sarah say from her room then step in front of me. "Take me away officers."

"What?" I stood there shocked. "What the hell is going on?"

"Don't worry Taylor, just come down to the police department. I'll explain everything."

Before I knew it, they were putting her in handcuffs and leading her out the apartment building and into the back of a cop car.