Chp. 40- A Promise

*Ava*

I've realized that there's a difference between living and just being. And for so long, I have been just being. I've restrained myself from true happiness because of my so called feelings for a boy who has only hurt me. I've emotionally rejected someone who wants to love me and give me everything because of these feelings. I've been hidden from this life, only hurting myself as I continued to shut people out. And now, I've realized that it doesn't always give you what you want. If I learned anything, your heart does not make the wisest choices. It will follow what you crave, and craving has only lead me to destruction.

I don't want to just be. I want to live. I want to feel peace within and not have to worry about when this happiness is going to end. I want to be able to make choices without hurting myself or others. I don't want to have to depend on other people for my happiness.

So with this realization, I'm granting myself a fresh start. A new perspective on everything. I have to start making choices that are better for me, that benefit me. I can't keep hurting myself for a thrill that only lasts for a short period of time. I'm an adult now, and it's time to stop shitting myself into thinking that things like true love and happy ever afters are real. I have to do things that don't put me in pain and suffering. It's time to start putting things in the past. It's time to change.

"Hey there." Logan's voice interrupted my thoughts as his head popped up the ladder. "Rebecca told me I might find you up here."

"You found me." I half smiled as he joined beside me on the roof.

"Yeah.." He glanced up at the blues, pinks, and purples that decorated the sky. "Such a beautiful sunset."

"Sure is." I agreed.

"What are you doing up here anyways?"

"Oh, you know.. just getting some fresh air," I said, "clearing my mind."

"Are you okay?"

I looked at his slight worried expression with warm eyes. "I will be."

"Anything I should be worried about?"

"No." I shook my head, "I don't think so."

"Oh.. well, that's good." He smiled.

"Yeah."

We continued to gaze as the sun was hiding itself behind the horizon. A minute passed as we sat down in silence.

"I, uh-" he mumbled as he searched for something inside his jacket pocket, "I actually have something for you."

He pulled out a long black case. It took me a while to realize what it was before my eyes widened as he opened it, revealing a beautiful necklace with a tiny silver heart locket

"I wanted to wait a little bit longer to give this to you, but I just thought you could need a little bit of reassurance.." he said as he handed me the case.

"How much did this cost you?" I mentally slapped myself at my question. A lot, of course. But with his riches, I'm sure it didn't cost him much.

"Enough to make it worth seeing you smile." He sweetly replied.

I stared down at the necklace in amazement and grazed my finger over the small silver locket.

"Turn it around."

I looked at him curiously but flipped the locket around to see two tiny words engraved: I promise. -LC

"Why did.." My voice trailed off in confusion.

"This necklace is a promise to you," he stated as his dark green eyes stared into mine, "A promise that I'll always be here from this day on. I'll make sure you'll never be afraid anymore. As long as I'm here, I'll do everything in my power to make you happy. You don't ever have to doubt me leaving.. I won't. I promise."

His words left me speechless, too stunned to try to find any words to speak.

"I know this seems a little to early.. but it's how I feel for you. And all I need to know is if you feel the same way for me."

A silence was starting to creep between us, and I was still too shocked to say anything.

"I-I don't know what to say.."

Noticing my hesitation, he sighed deeply, "Maybe this was a little early."

I grabbed onto his arm quickly. "No, no. I'm sorry, I didn't- I wasn't.. I feel the same way." I managed to say, "Trust me Logan, I do."

"Really?" Hope glimmered in his eyes.

"Yes." I put on my sweetest smile, "I do."

His face brightened once again as he leaned in, pressing his lips on mine, kissing me as if I had said yes to his proposal.

"Do you promise?" He breathed in my mouth, desperately wanting to hear me say it. He pulled away, waiting for me to answer.

"I promise."

_________

THE END.

Oh my jesmus, we did it! We finished the 2nd book! *squeals and jumps happily*

You guys, I can totally tell that my writing has grown and you guys have been there to see it. Thank you for committing to this book and always keeping up on updates. You guys are so awesome, I'm just shaking with feels. I promise that the third and final book will LEAVE YOU BREATHLESS. Like I just ran 50 miles breathless.

I can't believe I'm already on the third! As far as I know, no new characters. But I will be posting up pictures of the cast in Let Me In and A Taste of Life along with chapters. Trust me, it's purely for visual entertainment. If you imagined the characters to be different, dont be shy to comment about your opinion's. Also, I will try my hardest to make the chapterd longer because I know you guys hate it when I cut it short. Anyways, thank you guys so much for reading! I hope you guys follow along in the third book. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS about the book, or even me, again don't be shy to leave comments and I will gladly answer them.

I'm going to take a break before I start The Beginning In Our End, but trust me not for long. See you in the third book! Xoxo.

- Sincerely, Sammie.