Chp. 21- Friday Night Lights

*Ava*

The first football game of the season. Everybody was too excited about it, planning to paint their bodies the school colors or make huge signs.

Mitch and I on the other hand, were one of the few people who simply didn't care for sports. That's exactly why Mitch invited me to a party for the anti-preps. The usual people that hung around parties that I attended to. The ones that weren't into cheering along at football games.

At lunch, the entire football team gathered around, eating and laughing with their team mates. My eyes remained on Logan, who was sitting at the edge of the table, quiet, in his football jersey. I was a little confused as to why Kylie isn't here. She usually sits with Logan at lunch, purring into his ear all afternoon long.

Logan must of noticed that I've been staring, because he turned his full head of blonde hair my way and something glimmered in his eyes for a short moment that I swear it could of been..

"Ava." Mitch snapped.

"Yeah?"

"Did you see that?"

"See what?"

"Kylie ran out of the cafeteria.. crying."

"What?" I said in pure shock looking around.

"Yeah. She just got here but as soon as she took one look at you and loverboy's googly eyes to each other, she bolted."

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Can't she see there's nothing going on between us? I wanted to scoff and say that's what she gets, but something in my gut just wouldn't have it. A little rise of guilt started within me, but I quickly snapped out of it. What should I be guilty for?

"Ugh. I'll go run after the Queen Bee." I said getting up from the table and leaving the lunchroom.

It was only obvious where she could be hiding, the girl's bathroom. I opened the door and looked around to see Kylie. It was empty.

"Kylie?" I called out. All of the stalls seemed to be open.. except one.

"Who's there?" She responded with a sniffle. I sighed and nearly had to stop myself from rolling my eyes.

"It's Ava.." I stated.

I could hear her scoff from inside the stall. "What do you want Ava? Can't you just leave me alone? You win, okay. You win."

"I win? What am I winning from?" I asked in confusion.

The bathroom stall swung open and left Kylie crying, tears and mascara staining her cheeks. "This." She motioned between her and I. "I'm done doing this. This constant competition between you and I. I get it, okay. You get the guy. You always do."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Don't be so freaking obtuse, Ava." Her voice sounded like she her nose was plugged up, but I give her props for using such a big word. "This is the same thing that happened between you and Taylor-"

Okay. Now I was really fucking confused. "Woah, Kylie. Stop.. Don't go there."

"It's true." She scoffed. "Everything was fine before you showed up. Taylor was mine and only mine. I was enough for him and you just had to-" her voice was raising by the second.

"Kylie!" I tried to interrupt.

"No, Ava!" She shouted. "Let me fucking talk!"

I rolled my eyes and stayed quiet while she went on. I could see her close her eyes and taking a deep breath before continuing. Her voice was much more calm when she spoke. "Taylor didn't love me. I know that now. For years, I've been blinded by my love for him. Yeah, that's right Ava. I love him. But he doesn't love me. He loves you."