Chp. 2- A Book Brought Them Together

*Ava's POV*

Things were so complicated yet simple all at the same time. Nothing was wrong, it's just seemed like nothing was right either. I can't quiet explain it, which was just another perk of being me.

School was in two weeks and I couldn't be more stressed. I haven't even bothered to go out and buy neccisites nor clothes for the school year. Lately, I've been sleeping and watching Netflix my past summer in my rainbow pj's. The only time I did go out was either to Mitch's house or the music studio with Rebecca.

Rebecca is my dad's girlfriend and they've been dating since the past two months. They met at a bookstore downtown when he went to pick up my order for "The Great Gatsby" which is one of my favorite books of all time. She worked there when her friend who owned the bookstore wasn't. They instantly hit it off, now starting to become like teenagers in love. It made me happy to know he found someone, considering everything he's been through. The treatments from the hospital seemed to have been working and he couldn't be healthier than ever. Well, mostly healthy. He got a steady job at the drug rehabilitation center sharing his experiences to make underage kids quit their habits.

Whenever Rebecca didn't work at the bookstore, she took shift teaching classes at a local music studio with her bestfriend Lilian. They both insisted on me taking classes there knowing of my aspire to be a singer even since I was a little kid. Rebecca and Lilian have not only become my friends, but like motherly figures to me. They've been there for me through heartbreak, including the recent one I've experienced with Taylor. They know everything that happened between us, including the loss of my v-card. But I know they would never tell my dad a word.

They were both different but equally as beautiful. Their smiles were radiant but Rebecca had long blazing red auburn hair and green eyes while Lilian had charming big brown eyes and dark brown short hair. Their friendship has held strong since middle school which made me miss Mitch even more.

Mitch was still away at vacation with her family but was coming back as soon as school started. Which reminded me. I still needed to buy school supplies.

"Hey dad, can I take the car for a bit? I need to do some school shopping." I tell him as he was watching another old western movie with Rebecca.

"Okay just get back before dark." He says before handing me fifty dollars out of his pocket.

I took the keys and walked to the car. I drove to Target to buy some supplies and a new backpack. The old one I had had scribbles all over it and the side was almost completely ripped open. I picked up a regular black backpack as I made my way to the cashier.

I handed her the fifty my dad gave me and she gave me twenty back. As soon as I put the stuff in the back of the car, I drove to a boutique downtown to buy at least some outfits for school. I spent eighty successfully on some clothes to add to my wardrobe.

I looked at my phone as I got out of the store. 5:25. Shit it was already getting dark and I'm supposed to be home before Rebecca leaves to work. I couldn't help but focus on my attention to my screen saver. It was a picture of Taylor and I goofing off. I was smiling and his tongue was playfully placed on my cheek as I took the picture.

I smiled just at the memory of that day. I missed him more than anything. The last time we talked was a couple of days after he moved. We both realized that it wasn't going to work after the last fight he had. I had went out to a party and accidently left my phone here the whole night. Him being over protective and untrusting, he bickered on and on about how he doesn't want to have to worry about what I do anymore. Me being the idiot I am, I told him that he shouldn't have to worry what I do because its not like he's here to do anything about it.

And ever since, we haven't talked. I still have feelings for him, but we both knew this whole long distance relationship wasn't going to work. Who knows when was the next time I was going to see him? So we both decided to break it off and go our separate ways.

It was for the best, I know.. but my wounds are still fresh.