23. IDEALISTIC

~ KENMA ~

~ KENMA ~

"I didn't know you and Shiro were close."

I glanced at the dark-haired boy who had just spoken. Beneath the flickering streetlights, his gunmetal blue eyes seemed even more alluring than usual. And then there's me with my creepy yellow eyes.

"I could say the same to you," I replied. "But I don't think we're exactly 'close' right now."

"Really? I wouldn't say that. You two seem to get along pretty well."

"I guess." I mumbled absentmindedly, my eyes averting back to the dimly lit ground in front of me.

Why did he have to come? Of all the days he could've picked, Akaashi just had to choose tonight. He had to choose tonight to waltz in with his pretty eyes and natural charm, while I sat there having nothing to say like a brick. Couldn't he at least show up after I leave?

I mean, I didn't have anything against him and if I'm being perfectly honest, he was among the few people whose company I didn't mind. But for some reason being in the same room as him made me feel so... unnecessary. The moment Akaashi stepped foot into the house, I was no longer needed.

"Kenma, how do you feel about her?"

"I..." The question hit me out of nowhere. I wasn't sure how to respond, so I simply chose to laugh it off. "Come on man, you know I don't talk about feelings."

The truth was, I didn't know the answer. When faced with a difficult question, especially one without a singular correct answer, the most straight forward option is to skip it. And that was precisely what I decided to do.

"Yeah, yeah... we all know you're the antisocial boy with no feelings." He chuckled, elbowing me playfully in the side. "But surely there's more to you than that."

"Honestly, I don't know," I shrugged. This was the most accurate answer I could come up with for the time being. Skip and uno reverse. "What about you?"

"I really like her."

"What?"

Wrong move. I shouldn't have played that card.

"I think I really like Shiro." He repeated, smiling a little to himself as he did so.

My breath hitched in my throat and I coughed out a shaky laugh. "You mean as a friend, right?"

"Well... not exactly," he answered in the same idle voice, "I kind of want us to be more."

Of course he does. Even though I had already half expected those words, nothing could prepare me for the moment I heard them. I felt my heart drop as a sickening feeling rose in my stomach. I shouldn't have asked.