32. JUST FOR TONIGHT

~ SHIRO ~

~ SHIRO ~

"Shiro?"

"Kenma." I glanced up from my phone, feeling a wave of relief wash over me as the familiar, pudding-haired figure approached. "What are you doing here?"

"Kuroo dragged me here." He replied with a shrug. "Have you seen him by the way?"

I shook my head and sighed. "I was here with Keiji, but he left a while ago because... I don't know, something important came up, apparently."

He didn't seem too surprised. "So he just left you here?"

"Unfortunately."

"What a dick." Kenma commented bluntly, as he took a seat beside me.

I found myself laughing at the straightforward nature of this boy, something that never changed. "Someone else also said that."

"That someone sounds like a cool guy." He remarked with a smile. "But I'm not wrong. It was a dick move to leave you here."

True, it was. And there was nothing I could say against it, nothing I could defend Keiji with, even if I had wanted to.

"I can't believe I got all dressed up for this." I glanced down at my last minute outfit, feeling ridiculous.

My mother's kimono felt unnatural around my frame. The sleeves were too loose and the skirt was long enough to become a trip hazard. The dark red colour didn't help. It made my skin sickly pale, as if I hadn't seen the sun in ten years, which, of course, was not true. It had only been two years, at most.

I shifted awkwardly, noticing Kenma's gaze on me. If he stares for a little longer he's gonna get nightmares. I didn't dare to meet his eyes, in fear of what I would see in them, which was most likely disgust. I was prepared for the worst. Bring it.

"You look perfect. You always do."

Sorry, what?

I looked up at him, momentarily forgetting whatever worries I had. He couldn't be serious. But his golden eyes, deep with sincerity, told me otherwise. And gazing into them, I wanted to believe him.

Earlier tonight, Akaashi had told me I was pretty, but the compliment didn't seem to have the same effect. Although I knew Kenma was just trying to be nice, I couldn't help but feel comforted by his reassurance.

"Thank you." I smiled.

Seeing him return the smile caused a familiar warmth to spread through my chest. It reminded me that although I couldn't be the reason for his happiness, I still wished for him to be happy.

"Well, look at you two lovebirds," a deep voice interrupted.

I glanced up to see Kuroo and his notoriously messy hair, approaching us with Lev, Yaku and Kai. "Or should I say 'love-cats'? Because we're from Nekoma and..." The captain joked, before getting silenced by a glare from the setter. "Okay, I see. Not funny. My bad."