37. DISTRACTION

~ KENMA ~

~ KENMA ~

"Hey, get him for me. Hurry, I'm low."

"Yeah, one second," I replied, rushing towards Fire. Unfortunately, some bot decided to get in my way.

"Alright then, take your time." She huffed in annoyance. I could see her blip moving, probably trying to find shelter. But that meant she was still alive.

"Hold on, almost there." I gunned down the player and ran for it. "Hide in tunnels. You got this."

"Bro, I don't got this!" Oh no, she was panicking. "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die..."

I turned the corner just in time to see her pursuer switch to a knife and chase her into the tunnel. Bad choice. Now you can't defend. I quickly caught up and fired at his open back. One burst and the man dropped.

"Oh, thank goodness." Fired sighed in relief, as she noticed the enemy signal disappear from the radar. "The universe granted me new life. But man, I'm on 5 HP right now."

"So any stray bullet will kill you," I concluded. "Stay behind me. They have two players left, they're unlikely to flank."

"What are your stats?"

"No kevlar, but 90 HP." I answered, picking up the dead guy's ammunition. "Full mag, now."

"Bet, I've got 9 left. Should be enough. Let's go."

"Sir, yes, sir."

We proceeded and luckily the game ended nicely, with both of us alive. Thank the heavens the two enemies left were idiots so it didn't take too long for us to find and eliminate those campers.

"GG." I laughed, as I took down the last man.

"EZ dubs." I heard Fire say over the call.

Though I'd disagree with the "EZ" part, I decided to not say anything about it, letting her celebrate the victory. It was funny how quickly she could switch from crying for help to gloating over a win. But I guess this was the essence of online gaming. One second you could be struggling to stay alive and the next you could somehow clutch up by winning the gunfight. This was what I loved about FPS games; the fast pace and unpredictability.

To be honest, this also applies to volleyball. You can never accurately anticipate the outcome of a game, anything can turn the tides and the ball often drops faster than you can register. Perhaps this was the reason I hadn't lost my interest in the sport.

"Hey, it's getting late. You wanna tap out?"

"Late? I never thought I'd hear that word from the legendary nocturnal sniper, White Fire." I said mockingly. Nonetheless, I checked the time. 02:30. Damn, it is kinda late.

I groaned, realising I still had training tomorrow. Or rather, today, in three and a half hours to be exact.

"But you have volleyball training in a few hours, don't you?" She asked, as if she had just read my mind.