20. IMPOSTERS

~ SHIRO ~

~ SHIRO ~

It was just another tedious Monday morning, the same as usual, nothing special. So why was I humming to myself as I walked to school? In public, it was near impossible to catch me singing. Even in my own house, I only ever sang when I was in a good mood. Perhaps I was today.

I would be lying if I said I didn't know why. Thinking back to the past two days, there were definitely events that really made me feel... happy, I guess.

"Shiro!"

The voice was soft, like a whisper-yell, but unmistakable. I turned around to see Kenma, with his pudding-coloured hair and PSP in hand, jogging lightly towards me.

"Hey, Kenma." I greeted him with a small wave. "Where's Kuroo? Don't you guys usually walk to school together?"

"I ditched him." He replied bluntly. The boy slowed down to a walking pace beside me and resumed his gaming.

Ah, so that's why he's walking with me. He needed a pair of eyes to watch the road for him. Holding back a laugh, I put my earphones back in, continuing to drown out my own thoughts with music.

We walked together quietly for a few minutes, before Kenma decided to break the silence. "Hey, about the manager thing, have you decided yet?" He asked, pausing his game. "It's fine if you haven't. I don't want you to feel rushed or anything."

"You know, you really are the most indecisive person I've ever met." I remarked, smiling a little. "If you want an answer right now, just say so."

He turned towards me, his cat-like eyes staring into mine. "But... wouldn't that be rude? I don't want to force you into anything and I'd rather it be completely your choice so..."

"Do you want an answer or not?" I interrupted. Although I had to admit I did find his flustered rambling maybe a tiny bit cute, getting to the point for a change would be great, too.

"Yes." He said firmly this time, with a small, indicative nod.

"Well then," I paused, purposefully drawing out the silence to see his anxious expression a little longer. "It's a 'yes'. My answer is 'yes'."

Kenma was surprised, to say the least. "Really?" He gazed at me, golden eyes filled with disbelief.

"Why? Is it so hard to believe that the socially problematic girl has decided to commit to a team activity?" I asked, amusement lacing my tone.

"No, not at all... Well, actually, yes." He admitted. "Not exactly because you're 'socially problematic', but more so that you were unimpressed by our low-key pathetic defeat on Saturday." His eyes shifted to the ground, suddenly finding the concrete extremely interesting. "After the game, I didn't get the chance to speak to you. I wanted to ask you back then but I... I couldn't find you."