33. STAY

~ KENMA ~

~ KENMA ~

I turned to see a tall figure stride towards us. Beside me, Shiro hurriedly got to her feet and I followed.

"There you are," Akaashi said as he approached. "I've looked everywhere for you."

"And you didn't think to call me?" Shiro snapped in response, much to my surprise. "You think I'm gonna buy that bullshit?"

You go, girl. Externally, I was managing to keep a straight face, as to not disturb the atmosphere, but internally, the voices in my head were cheering on the sidelines. A very bad habit, but my mind tends to turn serious things into spectator sport and right now, it was getting good.

"Look, I can explain..."

"Of course, you can!"

Yeah, that's right. Tell him!

"Darling, please, listen." Akaashi's voice remained surprisingly calm, as if knowing he could reason his way out of this.

And much to my annoyance, Shiro did, in fact, pause and listen. But it wasn't like whatever he was about to say could make up for what he did. Ditching a girl mid date and making her wait alone was a crime punishable by death.

"I couldn't call you because I don't have my phone," he explained. "Bokuto has it right now because he lost his own, along with his wallet and everything else. We managed to find the wallet where he had left it but his phone was gone. I assume he left it in another place."

As he continued, I pulled out my own phone. He had better not be lying. I dialled his number and was greeted by the most obnoxious voice.

"Hello! This is Japan's number four ace, the one and only... huh? Oh, right! This is Akaashi's phone but I'm Bokuto. Who are you looking for?"

I hung up immediately, regretting holding the phone so close to my ear. Akaashi gave me an odd look and I shrugged. "Just fact-checking." I said indifferently, before asking. "How did you manage to find us then?"

"I ran into Kuroo," he replied. "They weren't all that hard to find. And he told me that you and Shiro had left and figured you'd probably be here."

I sighed and went through a whole dictionary of curses in my head. Of course, it was Kuroo. He was the smartest idiot I knew. Damn it, why did you have to tell him?

"Makes sense."

Akaashi turned towards Shiro, who had been quiet for a while. "I'm very sorry, darling. I know it's my fault and I have no excuses but please, let me make it up to you."

At those sugar-coated words, I noticed her expression soften and realised she was feeling bad for him. And knowing her, she must have been feeling worse for raising her voice and getting angry at him. She began to hesitantly nod and as she began to give in, I felt a small sting in my heart, as though it was hurting for her.