40. APATHY

~ SHIRO ~

~ SHIRO ~

"Are you alright?"

I looked up from the cake I had been picking apart, now a mess of strawberries and cream on my plate. "Yeah, I'm good." I nodded assuringly at Keiji. "Why?"

"You seem a bit distracted," he said. "Are you stressed?"

I shook my head. "No, not at all. Exams are over and I'm actually looking forward to the Spring Tournament."

"Good," he smiled cheerfully. "I'll be needing your support."

I couldn't help but smile back. How could I not? He was adorable, with his gentle features and gunmetal blue eyes gleaming with affection. Of course, I knew my own team took priority, but I really hoped I'd be able to spectate at least one of his games. Keiji was an exceptional setter, perhaps I could even take some notes for Kenma. 

"Should we go now? I wanna go to the arcade." I suggested, getting up from the table. I wasn't sure where the idea came from, but if I had to guess, probably gaming addiction withdrawals. 

"Now?" Keiji asked in surprise. "It's a little late, I still have to study."

"What do you have to study for? Exams are over." I said, getting up from the table. 

"Yes, but it's always good to get a head start on new topics and..." He shook his head and sighed, knowing there was no room for discussion. "Fine, I guess one day won't make much of a difference."

I smiled wider, feeling gleeful that I had gotten my way. This man's kindness would be his downfall. Of course, that didn't stop me from taking advantage of it. I mean, we didn't get to hang out that often so it was only right that I made the most of this time. 

"Alright, let's go." He said, leading me out of the restaurant.

"Wait, we haven't paid yet."

"Don't worry, I already did." 

"What? When?" It was now my turn to be surprised.

"Earlier, when I went to the bathroom," he replied naturally.

"Keiji! That was fine dining." I stared at him in disbelief. "Ain't no way you paid for it without telling me." 

All night I had ordered accordingly, with the belief that I was going to pay for my share. If I had known he was shouting I wouldn't have gotten dessert, which I clearly had no room for, and only ordered because he had suggested it. I didn't even like strawberry cakes that much, especially ones that were so pricey. 

"It's fine, I hardly get the opportunity to take you out." He reassured me. "Plus, it's common courtesy."

"Common courtesy should not come at that cost. Let me pay you back."

"If you really insist, you can pay for the arcade." He suggested with a smile. "Come on, let's go."

~~~~