10. ENCOUNTER

~ SHIRO ~

~ SHIRO ~

By the time we wrapped things up, it was already 7:00. I was actually kind of satisfied with how much work we've done. The bulk of the assignment was somewhat completed, so what was left would be pretty easy to finish.

After packing up, I walked Kenma to the door. "Good work today." I commended him. To be honest, he wasn't hard to work with. Surprisingly, he was really cooperative, and listened well.

"Nah. You're the team carry." He replied with a smile. Sounds like something applep1e would say. "Thanks for helping me. I mean it."

"Anytime." I mirrored his kind expression. "It's getting quite dark, are you okay to walk home?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine." He shrugged casually, pulling on his red jacket. "Besides, I live around here. If I get lost, I can always call Kuroo to come find me."

"You two must be close." I remarked. It must be nice having a friend like that, someone you can depend on.

"Uh, I guess you could put it that way. He's still a real pain in the ass, though." His face scrunched up in a small grimace, reminding me of an angry little cat.

I laughed softly at his comment. "Can't be too bad."

At that, Kenma visibly cringed, which I found more amusing. "Oh, trust me, it is."

"Well, at least you've got a friend." I pointed out.

Suddenly, I felt the mood change, and he seemed to jolt alert. Did I say something wrong? He looked at me with dead seriousness. "So do you."

"Me? Friends?" I scoffed, as I shook my head slightly, brushing away the idea. "As if."

Then I was startled when Kenma reached out and held my hand in his. "I'm your friend." His feline yellow eyes stared sincerely into mine.

"You are?" This was hard for me to process. I mean, who would want to be friends with me? I was a loser.

He simply nodded in response, giving my hand a gentle, reassuring squeeze. All the while, his golden gaze never left me. But for some reason, his prolonged stare didn't unnerve me, unlike the usual ones people gave me at school. Instead, I felt a strange tingling warmth blossom in my chest.

I have a friend...

"Thank you..." I breathed, as a small subconscious smile formed on my face.

"No worries." He smiled back. "See you at school."

"Yeah, see you." I returned.