chapter five

The business man's long legs kicked a few papers, pens and pencils off of his area of the table and propped his feet up. He leaned back a bit in his cushioned, swirly chair and clasped his fingers together. The look on his face was currently unreadable.

Varrick did that a lot; leaving his face unreadable. He says it's a great skill to acquire for life, especially when you're in the "business world." 

The young woman physically fought herself not to go up and fiddle with her hair, or let her fingers tangle with each other. She made sure to keep her posture and face as straight as possible, even if she could feel a line of sweat forming on her back. 

Pitching ideas was never an issue for Korra, she was very good at what she did, but this time she found herself being a little more nervous than usual. She remembered back to the night at the bar with Asami who told her how highly Varrick actually speaks of her. It made her proud of course, and way more confident than she already was. However, now she was aware that Varrick talks about her to the heiress. 

What would she think if my idea went horribly wrong and Varrick told her about it ... Especially with his history of overly exaggerated stories.

Sure Korra had thought that she had made a decent enough impression on the engineer, but she still didn't want to screw things up somehow. Even though they've both already somewhat succeeded in that considering how neither of them have the other's phone number. 

It's only Monday, I can ask Varrick for her number if this all goes well and he's in a good mood. Plus I'm sure she's been trying to locate my contact information since Saturday, right? 

Right ... 

The small room stayed silent between the two as Korra stood still at the projector. She waited impatiently for Varrick to decide on something, or at least say something so she would stop itching. After about another long minute, the man stood up abruptly and made his way to stand besides Korra. He looked intently at her idea board that was casted on the screen. The business man narrowed his eyes, placing a hand on his chin.

"Uh, is there anything that I should make more clear?" Korra spoke up, eyeing her boss with a raised brow.

"Nope! You have made yourself very, crystal clear, my friend!" 

"So, do you like my idea?" 

"Of course I do!" Varrick swiftly launched his arm around Korra's neck, causing her to be pretty annoyed as she gave him a glare from below, but it's not like he would notice or care anyways.  "Like I said, kid, you're my favorite employee!" 

And Korra somewhat believed that, thanks to Asami.

"Now how about we do everything you want, and then add some of my own jazz! Let's talk deadlines and budget." 

"So how did your pitching go?" Bolin quickly began to interrogate his friend during their lunch break the second he sat down at their round table. 

Korra smiled to herself again, thinking back to Varrick going on about how well thought out her idea was. Though she didn't want to brag, she had to share some of her glory with her co workers. 

"Not to be a show off but he was basically on his knees asking me when we can start putting my plan in motion." She playfully bowed the upper half of her body with a smirk shooting towards Opal and Bolin. They rolled their eyes in response at her usual cockiness. 

"Yeah yeah, anyways have you gotte-"

"Opal." Korra whipped her head and scolded the tanned girl that sat next to her. "I told you, I'm working on it!"