chapter twenty

July tenth came by quicker than expected, and quicker than wanted. There was not one part in Korra's body that wasn't completely consumed with nerves. When Asami first asked her to accompany her at the Future Industries annual gala, she truthfully could not have been more excited. It seemed like another, farther step into her 'relationship' with Asami. Korra looked forward to entering a very vital and special part of the other woman's life; her in her own business world. 

For the few weeks that led up to the date of the gala, Korra silently dreamed of Asami being surrounded by all of the one percent. She wondered if Asami acted any different than she did with Korra or at the Blackstone Building. For a moment, that thought frightened her, but she pushed it aside for the time being.

But now, her feelings were completely different. Now she was undeniably scared almost shit-less. 

Would she have to act different being surrounded by the one percent?

Would she somehow manage to embarrass Asami? 

They both sat in a large, black limousine. They were only about ten or so minutes from arriving at the Sato Estate. Korra had never been there, and honestly she couldn't even remember Asami ever actually talking about it, so she wasn't too sure what to expect. All she could know from her own personal knowledge was that it was definitely covered with the most expensive ... everything. Korra had to mentally remind herself over and over again not to break anything, for her own sake.

She thought about screaming and telling the chauffeur to turn the car around right then, to take her back home so she could avoid the entire night, but she didn't. No matter how nervous she was, Korra wanted to be there with Asami more than anything. 

"Korra?" Asami spoke up to interrupt her thoughts, and gratefully so. Korra lifted her head up to meet her gaze. Asami's green eyes managed to shine so brightly in the dark car. Just looking at Asami in that moment made her body less tense; her shoulders slightly dropping.

"Are you okay?" 

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" Korra answered with a doubtful grin. She knew that Asami could easily tell that something was wrong. Asami didn't know it of course, but she was good at reading Korra's emotions when Korra needed her to.

"You've been pretty quiet since we picked you up."

"Sorry." She sighed, trying to force another smile. "I'm honestly just really excited. I guess I can't think straight." It was half a lie.

"That's good." Asami paused, looking content and more serious all of the sudden. "I'm really happy you agreed to come with me."

"Of course, Asami." And she meant that.

Korra quicking pondered on whether or not to hold Asami's hand at that moment, but decided on keeping her hands placed neatly in her lap. They've done many things, but have only actually held hands a very small number of times since their feelings were confessed. Even then, it was done when the situation was more 'friendly' rather than serious or romantic. 

The air in the car was thick now. They kept eye contact, but it was a bit uncomfortable for Korra. She broke their stare and turned her head to look out the window. She watched as they passed by the city. She watched the clueless people going about their lives, the small and tall buildings along with the skyscrapers, the bright lights. Korra sighed, but she realized soon after that it came out louder than she thought it would.

A few minutes of heavy silence passed when Korra felt a warm presence hesitantly graze over her folded hands. She looked back down to her lap and saw a pale hand trying to grip one of hers. Korra lifted her head again to stare at Asami, who in her surprise was simply looking out of her own window. A smile met Korra's face; the first real one since she entered the limousine. She took the final step and laced her fingers with Asami's. Her heart thumped, almost skipping one too many beats.