chapter eighteen

"I was thinking about visiting Naga again, by the way." Korra started up a new conversation after she took her second bite of her third piece of french toast for the morning.

After Asami's confession, and most if not all of the dramatic flames were finally put out, the two women decided on starting off the day with a good breakfast. Asami first insisted on ordering from one of her favorite diners, but Korra was more than eager for other plans. She ended up making the both of them an amazing meal; she with french toast, bacon, and scrambled eggs, and Asami with a smoothie, fruit bowl, and an everything bagel.

It's safe to say that Asami was more than impressed with Korra's skills in the kitchen. After Korra finished up placing their meals on the breakfast table, Asami even went far enough to give her a light kiss on the cheek. It's not like they haven't done anything more than that - because they certainly have - but the action was more soft and showed appreciation. The feel of Asami's lips made Korra physically freeze momentarily, before her neck and cheeks heated and she began to stumble around the kitchen for a few minutes following.

It was nice, though. Korra liked it. She liked moving around Asami's kitchen so freely in the morning and making them breakfast while Asami simply watched her steps in admiration. She liked sitting down at a table with Asami as they dug into their meals in a comfortable silence. She liked being able to glance up at Asami every few minutes (seconds) and create a blush on the other woman's face. 

Ever since they managed to define their undefined 'relationship' only about two hours prior, a small thing like this seemed to have an entirely different meaning. It was definitely something that she wanted to get used to, but truthfully, Korra didn't think that she ever would.

"Really? That's great." Asami's voice was more monotoned than Korra had expected it to sound. 

"You don't sound impressed."

"Well, I'm just confused on why you haven't adopted her already." She stuck her fork in her fruit bowl, popping a red grape into her mouth. "Someone is gonna take her if you wait any longer, Korra."

"I know, I know. It's just a big step. Having a pet, a dog specifically, is a lot of work and requires a lot of responsibility."

"So what is it; you don't think you're responsible?" Asami questioned with a smirk.

"I never said that, green eyes. I like to think I am." Korra smirked back with an equal amount of power. "But still, I wanna do what's best for her."

Korra took another few bites of her french toast, finishing off that piece and taking a long sip of her orange juice. She was about to move back to her bacon strips before they got cold, but noticed that Asami still hadn't responded to her comment. She looked back up to see green eyes staring at her, piercing through her, as if they had so much to say. Asami's lips were plump and slightly parted, and Korra really did have to stop herself from leaning over the small table to make contact with them.

Instead, she gave her nervous, crooked grin. "What?"

"Oh, nothing it's just," Asami shook her head then bit her lower lip. "I don't think I've ever seen someone put this much thought into getting a dog. Usually it's just a one, two, three step process."

"I mean yeah I guess." Korra could barely help herself with hiding her own embarrassment. She broke their eye contact and shoved a piece of bacon in her mouth in order to stop her stupid grinning. Even though she swore that Asami could hear her heart beating. 

"I like seeing you care so much, though. It's kind of .." Asami trailed off in search of the perfect word.

"Attractive?" Korra suggested, regaining her confidence.