chapter nineteen

The beginning of May turned into the middle of June in almost an instant. With this time change, Asami couldn't be more loaded with work. She thought it was bad before, but now she felt like it was all turning into a huge mess, far out of her control. She'd been finding herself going back to her apartment at around midnight or one in the morning recently, and even on some days she would still have documents and emails to read and respond to. Going to sleep at a reasonable hour became pretty rare.  

Varrick and her father weren't making this any less challenging for Asami, either. Since it was the start of summer at this point, that meant that many other 'important people' with large companies would be coming to Republic City. The city was always the most alive during summer or the holidays, so it made sense that people would be coming to spend time there.

Because of this, every year for the past seven years, Future Industries decides to host a grand ball, though it's only purpose is to gain more connections. 

Hiroshi Sato had always been a fan of balls and conferences and such. Asami and her father have been attending those types of events since she turned six years old. Though she was a very intelligent child for her age ( her being sent to the best private school in the area and all ) it never meant that she enjoyed these events. They actually quite bored her. Having to make long, drawn out conversations with mostly old people about where she would see herself in life grew tiresome. Even from a young age she was talking about college and her future career. Everyone assumed that she would obviously inherit Future Industries from Hiroshi, and they were nothing less than right.

It bothered Asami at times. Her life had been planned out for her since before she was born. When she was in middle school, having this lifestyle was all she ever wanted. She wanted to be apart of the huge business world, to eventually follow in her father's footsteps, to make everyone else around her proud, to make her mother proud. But that changed when she entered high school.

When her mother left.

Asami wished that she could be more like Korra. Korra was so ... Korra. She was free willed, outgoing, didn't have a care in the world for what others thought about her. Asami figured that Korra could hit rock bottom and still have some happiness in her. That is what Asami envied most. She knew she couldn't hold anyone up to such a high pedestal, but it was hard to see Korra as anything else. 

It's not like she wasn't happy, though, she definitely was. After all, as much as she may dislike it at times, she had an amazing job. She had great friends, a great father, and Korra. 

Korra.

She missed Korra a lot in the past month. Since Future Industries had the ball coming up and her work life was pouring into and overflowing her personal life, plus Korra was being given project after project, the two women barely had enough time to see each other. For an understatement, it was awful and lonely. Usually they would find a way to be together every other day, like things used to be earlier on in their relationship. Asami missed those times; when things were easier. Although she wouldn't change anything as it was now. 

Her and Korra were in a good place. With their feelings finally out in the open, it let Asami breathe a bit better sometimes. When she was stressed at her desk or had to sit through a long meeting, her mind would often wonder to Korra. Thinking things like 'what's she doing right now' and 'when am i going to see her again' and even a few less appropriate thoughts.

Asami missed Korra's touch. She loved the other woman's lips, her soft skin, her cheeks, thighs, hands, neck, hair, legs, abs, and her arm muscles especially.

The last time they were together, which was about two weeks ago, they took Naga to the park that was near Korra's apartment. Asami remembered how much fun that day had been.