chapter sixteen

'No kissing next time.' That turned out to be a load of crap.

But it's not like Asami could even help herself, either. She was completely caught in the way Korra looked at her under the stars and dimly lit lamp lights, it was different. Her usually cold blue eyes softened. The silence that surrounded them was eating her up, along with their breaths coming together as one due to how close they were. 

Asami remembered seeing Korra's eyes flicker down to her lips for a split second when she bit her bottom lip. She expected for her to make some kind of move, but instead she looked back to the stars. She knew that Korra wouldn't do anything without her permission, so she decided that maybe it was her job to do so. 

It was originally planned to be a simple kiss on the cheek to show her gratitude, but the taste of Korra's skin against her mouth nearly swallowed her whole. Her skin was so smooth. She felt Korra go slightly rigid under her touch, her breath hitching, and that only made Asami want her more. 

The memory of Korra's lips on hers left a large stain in her brain. So soft and hot. Puffy after their long moments of aggressive kissing. It drove her mad. The way Korra held her so close and carefully, as if she was a fragile piece of glass about to break, it was all far too intoxicating. Everytime their lips pulled apart for either air or to move to another location, she found herself actually missing the contact. It was odd, considering their bodies were practically sewed attached to each other, but she still missed it. 

She missed it right now, even. But it wasn't even the feeling of Korra's lips that she missed, or the intense, unspoken passion that they shared. She just missed Korra

Sighing to herself, Asami realized that she was barely done reading the document set in front of her - there were still at least five pages left to review. Lately her work has been flooding into and taking over her personal life. It cut time into being able to hang out with Korra or the guys. Kai called her earlier in the morning to ask if she was available to grab lunch with her since he was in the area, but she had to decline. The amount of meetings, phone calls, test runs, and contracts to sign began to overwhelm her. 

"The merchant called again, love." Alicia announced while scribbling things down to a few post it notes.

"That's the third time in the past four days."

"I know." She fixed her fallen, loose ponytail momentarily then went to place the post it notes on the corner of Asami's desk where she liked them. "I told him that you would get back to him when you have time, but he insists that a meeting is urgent."

"I can't right now, though. I'm swarmed. Specifically swarmed with things that are more important than some new, stupid business that is probably never going to pick up." 

Alicia snickered to herself at the small outburst, which earned her a glare from Asami though she continued to laugh. Asami gripped the pen in her hand then let it fall on her desk creating a loud clunk noise. 

"Are you doing okay, love?"

"Honestly, not really. I know it's my job to, you know, be a boss and all, but my head has been spinning for days non stop. It's exhausting not being able to think straight."

"You're not usually like this. I don't mean to pray, and you don't have to tell me but, is there anything else going on that could be damaging your focus?"

"Maybe."

"Anything you're willing to talk about?" She took a seat in one of the chairs in front of the large desk and crossed her right leg over the other, slouching her arms on the arm rests. "I know I'm just one of your assistants-"