chapter twenty five

It all happened so fast. First she was having the time of her life with her, then she was fucking her, then she was fighting with her.

She was hungry the following morning, as if she had even fallen asleep in the first place. Korra was supposed to make them breakfast.

Neither of them even realized when Korra had pushed Asami into the kitchen island counter until she let out a quick gasp.

"I'd," Korra began to speak, but was pulled back into pale lips. "I'd take you on this counter right now if I could."

"Why can't you?" Asami huffed heavily, then went back for another kiss. Her fingers groping Korra's neck, collarbone, and shoulders firmly.

"Because," Another kiss. "That's where I'll be making us breakfast tomorrow morning."

"Fair enough."

They were supposed to have breakfast together. They didn't.

The dark purple rose was neatly placed in a slender vase. Two petals have fallen, another was wilting, but she kept them regardless. The plant sat right on the nightstand that she used most so she always had to look at it when she woke up and when she fell asleep. This was done purposefully, Asami considered it to be a punishment on herself. She knew that she deserved it, after all.

She wished that she could admire the rose the same way she did when she first got it. It was truly beautiful, and the way that Korra was so nervous to give it to her made the gesture even more thoughtful.

But that was almost three weeks ago. That was the same night that she not only broke Korra's heart, but also her own. Because she was a foolish, cowardly idiot. That's what she told herself every time she woke up and saw the rose, and every time she fell asleep. Another addition to her own punishment.

Asami spent most of her time in her bedroom, slumped in her bed mindlessly watching dumb movies or television shows that she hardly cared about. However, when the memories of her doing the exact same thing but with someone else became too apparent, she'd have to come up with enough energy to move elsewhere.

Turns out, Korra has been everywhere in Asami's apartment. That should have been a given from the beginning of her thought process, though.

Asami's mindless television watching turned to mindless strolling around her own home. She should have gone out for maybe a walk or a jog, but fresh air didn't even seem like something she needed then. A walk or a jog wouldn't make a difference in the amount of damage she had caused. She knew that probably nothing would at this point.

The gym, she thought to herself. Out of all of the places Korra's touch had been left, she's never been to her gym. So, that's where she carried herself.

Asami wasted her time that day by using nearly every piece of equipment she had. Along the way, she realized that there were a couple that she's never used, so she found it a bit hard to grow used to that. That's what she wanted, though. Some sort of distraction that could leave her more frustrated than she already was, but for a completely different reason.

Working on a different car design in her workshop or marinating in her office is what she would have usually done when put under a large amount of stress, but she hasn't had any motivation for doing so.

When her and Korra's argument was fresh, she forced herself into work. That only lasted for the first week until she was on the verge of a breakdown simply because she couldn't find her 'favorite pen' and called down Alicia to help her find it. Alicia was pretty concerned because Asami was never like that, so she suggested that she took a short leave.