chapter twenty one

Asami walked into the bedroom after grabbing her phone from the kitchen. She went to the short dresser that had the television and other nacks placed on top, and pulled open the exact drawer that she knew she needed.

She dug around it a bit, most of the clothes being unfolded, until she found her favorite pair of sweatpants that she loved to wear every time she stayed the night at Korra's apartment. She had changed into shorts when they first got back, but she was getting a bit cold so a switch was needed. The running water from the sink and closed bathroom door told her that Korra was still getting herself ready for bed.

She thought back to their pretty extragevent night at the gala. They only just got back from it about two hours ago, the time now being close to two am. Asami had an amazing night, they both did. She reminisced on the fresh memories while pulling up the sweatpants and tying the string in the front to fit her waist. The images of Korra in that dress would definitely linger in her mind for a very, very long time. Asami looked to the open closet door and saw that dress hanging on the rack nicely, and smiled. She was sure that she'd never get over how beautiful her partner looked that night.

Partner; that was what they were going with now. The thought of the new label was a bit scary at first until the conversation eased and she admitted that calling Korra her best friend wasn't fitting. It had been discussed during the midst of their slow dancing. They danced under the stars and the moon. They danced to the hushed orchestra that played the perfect song at the perfect time. They danced to and with each other, holding the other as closer as possible with serious faces and the occasional small smile.

Asami remembered the way Korra held her so waist gently yet possessively as they locked hands and swayed rather than waltzed. They were so painfully caught up in each other, so fully consumed. Asami felt a pleasant pang in her stomach when just then, as if on cue, Korra's private bathroom door opened. The shorter woman walked out with her phone in one hand as she scratched her cheek with the other. Their eyes met.

"Hey." Korra greeted first, standing a bit too still in the doorway.

"Hi."

"I'm done with the bathroom now, if you need it."

"I'm good, actually. I was just with Naga in the kitchen for a little bit. She is so adorable."

"Is she sleeping yet?"

"Passed out." Asami confirmed with a small chuckle as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Thank god." Korra pleased and finally moved. She flipped the switch in her room to turn off the big light, leaving the only things to light up the place one side table lamp and the moon through the curtains, but they did a lot of justice.

She carried herself over to the taller dresser in her bedroom that was pressed against the wall right between her bathroom door and closet doors. Asami was always amused at how many clothes this woman actually had, ( despite her saying that fashion and shopping weren't her thing ) considering how much space she needed.

Asami was about to crawl into Korra's bed when she noticed that Korra was taking off her shirt to change into another one. From not that far, Asami tried to quietly admire Korra's physique and all that she could see. Her well defined back muscles and arms moved gracefully, mesmerizingly, underneath her spotless skin. She had always found muscles to be extremely attractive, but something about these ones in particular being Korra's muscles made them much better.

Korra bent over a bit to open a lower drawer, causing her muscles to shift again. It almost felt like they were mocking her, or rather, that Korra was teasing her.

You shouldn't.

But she did. Something in Asami awoken that night at the gala when the cleavage of Korra's breasts were on full display to her taller self, along with other people. A quick vision of her catching a handful of middle aged men eyeing her stung her mind. She was never really the possessive or jealous type in general ... however ...