Chapter Twenty Two

"Rose?" Naya scoffs "There has to be a mistake."

"Me?" I question in disbelief as Hazel reaches her hand out and pulls me to face the covens.

"You have the gift of sight my child." Hazel says with pride "Only by having the gift were you able to locate my grimoire."

I lower my gaze out of respect but also because of Naya's glare. She goes to argue again but Hazel holds her hand up to silence my sister. She motions for me to place my hand in hers.

Hazel flips my hand over and slices my palm open with the athame. As my blood pools in my hand she uses it to draw a pentacle on my forehead. She then orders the covens to step up and with the blood dripping from my palm, she draws the pentacle on each witches forehead. Naya's intense glare left a lingering heat long after she stepped away. Hazel then slices her own palm open and grips my hand in hers, fusing our blood together. "Repeat after me. Malum nascitur lucem, sic etiam infirmitatem." She commands.

'From the light evil is born, so shall its weakness also be.'

With the joining of hands we chant in unison. My hand pulsates and a strange sensation overwhelms me as Hazel's blood merges with mine. My body tingles with the rush of immense power originating from the pentacle on my forehead. With the continuous chanting more power pulsates through every inch of my soul.

The ground begins to shake. Hazel's powerful presence beside me gives me both comfort and anxiety. The shaking becomes stronger and a harsh breeze bursts into the room from all around. The heat that it brings smells like a burning forest, slapping me in the face and burning my nostrils. The intensity of the chants combined with the smell, heat, and shaking ground has my nerves shot.

"Happy twenty first birthday Rose." Hazel whispers affectionately before disappearing back into the Oasis. I look at the empty space in shock as it bursts into flames and the ground quakes and groans as it begins to split open.

I stare into the fiery pit and focus all my energy into the spell. "Malum nascitur lucem, sic etiam infirmitatem!"

Terrible shrieks and screams filled the air as the gates of hell opened up and from the flames a crystal began to emerge. Painful screams of agony and despair rang loud and clear. I could almost see each individual prison stone and each prisoner inside.

I shake my head to clear it of the disturbing images of the world's most vile creatures and extend one hand to hover above the opening. After a moment a tear shaped crystal levitates toward the surface and into my palm. I wince as it burns my hand. I take a moment to inspect its shape and vibrant color that reflects the exact shade of hellfire. Closing my fist around it, the ground closes up and the blistering heat in the air dissipates. Our candles light up again and the covens stare at me with pride. Asha grins widely while Naya rolls her eyes and outstretches her hand signaling me to toss her the crystal. I shake my head and her eyebrows raise in disbelief, blue eyes blazing in rage.

"Hand over the Kynda, Rose." She sighs dramatically at my confusion "Must you be so daft? Kynda means hellstone. It is very dangerous if you do not know how to look after it. Hand it over before you hurt yourself Rose."

"I am sorry Naya. I will not. Hazel entrusted me with it which means you are not meant to have it." I argue as I step back.

She shakes her head "Insolent girl. You will be the death of us if I step down. My apologies dear sister but that is not a price I am willing to pay."

"What are you-"

"Somnum." She interrupts with a wave of her hand and I gasp from shock as my body falls on the cold hard ground and sleep takes over.