Chapter Five

My stomach clenches in discomfort as I try to hold back the bile that wants to come spewing out. Vampires are disgusting and revolting creatures. The mere thought of them makes my skin crawl. To think that a relative of mine, no matter how long ago, was in love with one is thoroughly nauseating. Not to mention completely taboo.

"I know what you're thinking," He says before shaking his head "But she was different. The moment I saw her beautiful flawless porcelain skin and jet black hair I was taken. When she stared at me with those eyes I knew I was a goner. To spare you all the details we fell in love, but as you can imagine that didn't come without consequences." He sighs and focuses his red eyes on me. "We were being hunted by our own people. Her father was their leader and he despised every inch of me. He captured me. Tortured me. If not for Clementine he would have killed me. We managed to escape and for a while we even found peace. We'd thought the worst was behind us, but other complications arose."

I shake my head trying to wrap my mind around the idea of the two of them together but I just can't. It seems disturbing and so very very wrong. It goes against every fiber of our beings to entangle ourselves with those bloodsucking creatures. They are an absolute plague on this Earth.

"She began to worry about what would happen to us if I were to ever find my mate. She worried that I'd abandon her and leave her exiled from her clan and alone." He sighs "So... after a lot of time considering all the possible outcomes we decided that I couldn't have a mate if I no longer had a wolf."

I gasp and step away from him. Shock and disgust lining my features "Blasphemy!" I spit out "Tell me this is just a sick joke. How could you do something so heinous? Your wolf is a part of you, it protects you, heals you, loves you. It's a part of your soul. It's innocent and you would throw that away for some soulless monster who doesn't understand the first thing about being a wolf?" My chest heaves and my wolf  stirs inside. Feeling her rage course through my veins at the utter disrespect this man has shown towards the Moon Goddess and our culture. Werewolves are who we are, two halves of a whole. One cannot exist without the other.

"I know." He smirks while throwing a rock into the lava river "I'm ashamed to admit that is how blinded I was by her. That I would go so far as to kill a part of myself to show loyalty to someone other than my mate. The plan was to just kill my wolf so that I would be free of the Moon Goddesses hold. We realized too late that there was no way to kill my wolf without killing me."

I scoff "Of course not you idiot. It's a part of you. If your wolf dies so do you. Is that how you died then? Killed by your so-called 'love.'"

He ignores my snarkiness and nods "She stabbed me through the heart with a silver stake. Silver as you well know is our weakness. We figured silver through the heart would do the trick. What we hadn't counted on was the fact that without the help of my wolf my heart would not heal from the wound. We realized our mistake too late and when she saw that I was dying, she grew desperate and tried to turn me." My blood runs cold as my mind pieces together what he is saying. A ball of dread forms in the pit of my stomach and try my best to make it disappear.

"Turn you?" I whisper as I shake my head and take another step back. The ball of dread snowballing until I can no longer manage it.

"She tried to save me by turning me into one of them. A vampire." He confirms as he comes to stand. A smirk on his face as he gauges my reaction "My wolf fought it at first, drawing his last bit of strength from the full moon. I died that night. Clementine assured me that was the normal process when turning into a member of the undead. I didn't care much about what the process was. The only thing I cared about was that I was alive and better than ever. All my senses were heightened. I could see better. I was stronger, faster. I had the best of both worlds. That is... until the hunger started. No matter how much I hunted I was never satisfied. It went on for months and months. By that point, I was ravenous. Killing every animal insight in an attempt to placate the intense fire burning in my body. It wasn't until Clementine suggested I wasn't hungry but... thirsty that I began to feel the subtle way my throat ached. My initial reaction was of course much like yours is at this moment, disgust. But, I soon came to realize I was not just a wolf anymore, but I was also a vampire. Once I gave in to those desires Clementine and I took back what was ours and then some. I was invincible. Silver couldn't harm me anymore, neither could the sun or wooden stakes. I had no weaknesses. Until suddenly... I did."