Chapter Two

My heart thumps against my chest like a hummingbird. Sweat dripping down my back as I kick and punch the bag in front of me. Nick walks into my private gym covered in blood.

"How was it?" I ask as I spin kick the bag.

"How do you think?" He chuckled as he wiped his face with a towel "They screamed in terror, tried to flee, then begged for mercy. You know, the usual."

"There's nothing that I love more than their screams." I smirk as I close my eyes and picture their terrified faces. I despise all rogues, especially the ones that try to threaten me. Over the course of the last three years, we've been under constant attack. Rogue wolves and vampires alike trying and failing to get into Ember Territory.  Yesterday's attack came in the form of a bomb. A group of rogues bombed the eastern border and injured one of my wolves. Thankfully he's recovering.

Being under continuous attack has its pros and cons. For one thing, we get to perfect our fighting techniques as a pack. We also get the added benefit of watching those who threaten us tremble with terror and beg for mercy. But I learned a long time ago that there is no such thing as mercy.

"Did you uncover a motive?" I ask as I throw a succession of powerful punches making the red bag explode. Its contents spill onto the matted floor. Sighing in annoyance I walk over to the wall and grab a new one. Nick takes it from my hands and neatly hangs it up on the hook before grabbing a broom to push aside the mess.

"No." He finally answers "No motive, only cryptic remarks. Same as usual. Though he did say that he knew we'd come for them, that we were predictable."

"Oh? And what was your clever response to that?" I chuckle as I jab and kick. Nick's witty comebacks and unorthodox sense of humor amuse me.

"I said they should've locked their doors." He shrugs and I pause to look at him with a raised brow. He grins "It's something the kids in the pack came up with."

"What is?"

"They came up with this adorable chant for us." He says, eyes shining with amusement.

"Well? Let's hear it." I grin while resuming my punches.

"Hush now, lock your doors.

When the lights go out

Hear us roar

All through the night

Our enemies shocked with fright

As they hear the thunder that our flames ignite."

Nick smiles and I chuckle a bit while nodding "Well...Aren't they creative little scamps? I had no idea we had poets in the pack."

"So," he says stretching out the 'o' "Jocelyn tells me you received an invite to the meeting today?" He asks while holding the bag in place.

I stop punching to look at him "Doesn't that girl ever keep her mouth shut? Yes, I got the invite and no, I'm not going."

"Alora." He says with a pointed look "The remaining alphas are gathering for this meeting. They wouldn't all meet if it wasn't serious. And they sure as hell wouldn't include you if they thought they could handle it alone."