Chapter Twenty Three

The witches gasp. The wolves halt and Emerson's demeanor shifts from wicked and sinister to vicious and merciless. He breaks Lucius' arms and legs and forces him to the ground as he commands the attention of his followers. "It seems our Lucius has fallen victim to the sorcery of the Moon Goddess. No matter, such an issue can be easily resolved."

"No." Groans Lucius as he tries to pop his limbs back into place "If you lay a hand on her I swear to Goddess I will kill you."

He smirks and commands his army. "Whoever kills his little witch gets to replace him as my second while he takes a few centuries to remember where his loyalties lie."

I chuckle and he turns his attention back to me, amusement clear on his face. "Something funny witch?"

"You think you and your group of mutants are strong enough to take us on? There is no way any of you are getting near my sister."

He grins in answer and his wolves spring forward. I extend my arms forward, palms facing the sky and whisper "mortem."

The sky thunders and lightning strikes each wolf and they drop to the ground, wheezing in agony. Emerson picks up Lucius and breaks his limbs once more and holds a hand up in warning as Asha steps forward. I pull her back and she looks at me, eyes wild and frantic.

"Please." She begs and Lucius tries to reach for her but Emerson digs his hand deep into his chest causing him to groan in pain. Asha sobs desperately "Don't hurt him! Please!"

"Etiam!" Naya shouts, paralyzing Asha as she runs towards them.

"Naya." I gasp at the same time Emerson breaks Lucius' back and tosses him on the ground with a hiss of pain as he angles his face to look at Asha. A tear falls down my sister's face as she watches her soulmate in agonizing pain.

"If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself." Emerson mutters before flurrying into action. It took us a full three seconds to realize why twelve witches suddenly dropped to the ground. Three seconds too late as he ended their lives in a blur of movement.

"Now!" I shout frantically and the witches tighten the circle around him as best we could and quickly chant the imprisonment spell. His speed began to diminish as the Kynda burned bright in my hand. The red hugh of the moon cast a spotlight around us preventing him from escaping. "Malum carcerem."

"You witches think you've won." He grunts as he fights the spell "The battle has only begun."

"No!" Shouts Vivianne as her sister's heart gets ripped out. Her distraction is exactly what he wanted.

"Vivianne focus on the spell. He knows the spell will weaken if we are not unified. Focus!" I shout. Vivianne disregards my words and lunges forward. Emerson simply snaps her neck and the entire Flora Coven falls as they attack him, seeking revenge for their High Priestess.

"Malum Carcerem." We continue to chant despite our sister witches falling.

"Malum Carcerem." We continue to chant despite our hearts breaking.

"Malum Carcerem." We continue to chant until the Nightshadow Coven is all that is left. Until the Kynda floats into the sky. Until Naya and I are all that remain side by side chanting with all of our might as Emerson rips our coven apart. Until he finally falls to his knees and grunts in pain as his body begins to encase itself in flames. A fiery portal blasts open from the Kynda and his body slowly begins to get dragged towards it. He fights it and grabs a hold of Naya's ankle, twisting it and bringing her body down to the ground and against his. I go to reach for her while chanting and she shakes her head.