Chapter Ten

~A/N~
Let me just say this chapter kicked my ass. Goddess this was hard to write. Anyway I wanna give a shoutout to notsoordinary08 I see you love. I appreciate you taking the time to read and vote ☺️❤️
~~~~~

I stare into his disbelieving brown eyes and feel three years' worth of unchecked emotions resurface. He rushes towards me knocking over a few pieces of furniture as he engulfs me in his arms. The foreign gesture causes me to freeze. Ancient feelings bubble over and threaten to cripple me. Clearing my throat, I lightly pat his back and awkwardly step out of his embrace. He looks at me in confusion and a tiny sliver of hurt.

"You look all grown up." He smiles to mask the hurt. "Had a rough day?" He gestures at my bloodied mouth. Apparently, I'm a messy half-vampire as Nick's blood was splattered all over my mouth and neck from when I drank from him.

I scoff and roll my eyes; A small smile gracing my face "That would be the understatement of the century." We chuckle and he caresses my face with a look of pure adoration. My smile disappears and I regain my seriousness while crossing my arms. His smile fades when I speak again. "You know what I am, don't you? You knew all along what would happen to me if I died."

His shoulders tense and he sighs as he perches himself on the edge of his desk. "I knew."

Two words. Those two words seemed to be enough to release three years worth of pent up anger.

"And you didn't think that was something that I should've been informed of? I have to hear it from my dead grandfather and creepy ancestor?" I say through gritted teeth. "How could you keep something so crucial to yourself? What else have you kept to yourself?"

"Alora, I'm sorry. I wanted to protect you. I thought not telling you was better for you. I didn't want you to grow up with that burden I-"

"I don't want to hear excuses father." I interrupt while shaking my head "I have the burden now and thanks to you I am in the dark about everything. I need answers and you said they lie in the Oasis. So here I am. Tell me what I need to know. What is this place? What is so important about this Kynda Crystal?"

His eyes flashed to my face and his expression morphed into what looks like... fear?

"Alora, what do you know of the Kynda? Are you in possession of it?" He asks in a hushed tone.

"Oh yes, it was a most gracious gift from dear old Emerson. What of it?" I retort.

"Sweetheart if you have it then you are in more danger than you realize." He says before pulling away. He begins pacing back and forth before muttering to himself, "It's beginning."

"What's beginning? Dad for once in your life can you tell me the truth?" I all but shout.

"I was scared." He sighs and my eyebrows furrow.

"Since when do you get afraid?"

"The day you came into this world was unlike any other." He says with a half-smile before it disappears as he continues "You came out of your mother's womb and time froze. Literally. Everything and everyone stood still. I remember feeling paralyzed. When you opened your eyes the skies thundered and the ground shook. I saw that fiery red color and immediately I knew you possessed the gene. The tales my father would tell me when I was a child came slamming back to me. I didn't want to believe it. I wanted to protect you from the world. To find some sort of safe haven for you, a place where nothing and no one could reach you."

"An Oasis..." I whispered as the dots began to connect.

"Precisely." He nodded and sighed in frustration "I spent the better half of your life searching for a way to do just that. I spent so much time away from you instead of being there for you. I'm so sorry Alora. I only wanted to protect you. It didn't work as well as I'd hoped."