Chapter Eleven

~Three Years Ago~

Screams echo into the night. My feet pound into the dirt as I sprint through the forest.

"Alora, don't stop!" Shouts Nick as he tries to catch up.

Of course I can't stop. I need to keep going. I need to lead us away from danger. These are facts. Tara's fearful scream fading into the distance as she gets tortured is also a fact.

"Ah!" Shouts Jocelyn as she falls to the ground.

"Get your ass up!" I order "We are not losing anyone else!"

Tara's bloodcurdling scream is suddenly cut short and the twelve of us stop to look at each other. Agony plastered on our faces as we felt her wolf detach from the pack. Silence is all that we felt through the mind-link where she used to be.

"I'm tired of this." I whisper "We've been running for days. The only reason the hunters have even gotten this close is because we're dehydrated and starving."

"It's not your fault Alora." Comforted Drake "We would've all been dead if it wasn't for you. We've been attacked in every single state we've come across and we've only lost one. That's a win in my book."

"Well it's not in mine." Countered Ruby "Tara was the pack doctor's daughter. She was our only healer. What the hell are we supposed to do now? Are we supposed to just run forever? What the hell is the point?"

"Guys." Whispered Terrance.

"Will you calm the hell down Ruby? I don't even know why you're speaking right now. Runt." Countered Fallon as she glares and Ruby's eyes widen.

"What the hell did you just call me?" She says through gritted teeth as her hands ball into tight fists.

"Guys." Terrance calls again.

"You heard what I said. You're the runt of the pack. No one wanted you then, no one wants you now. So know your place and step to the back where you belong." Fallon says with a sneer.

Fallon and Ruby are quite literally enemies. It has been that way for the last five years. Ever since Ruby played with Josh's feelings, and broke his heart. He went rogue after that, no one has seen him since. Fallon has hated her since and blames her for her brother's departure.

"The way I remember, your brother wanted me." Ruby taunts and Fallon snarls in response.

"Guys!" Terrance whispers, and we all turn to look at him.

"What!" Ruby snarls seconds before a silver arrow pierces her chest. The arrowhead clicks open and forms a claw that digs into her chest like a grappling hook. She looks up at us with shocked eyes, and blood sputters out of her mouth.

Her body jerks backward with force as the metal cable attached to the arrow pulls her into the dark forest. A snarl vibrates in my chest as the desperation of losing another one sets my wolf on edge. The pack steps into a close defensive circle, sensing the threat closing in on us.

"Oh, poo. I missed." Chuckles a woman as she emerges from the trees with a smirk. In her lean hands she holds a sleek black modern bow. She looks at me with curiosity and amusement while aiming it in my direction. "I meant to catch you."

"Now, Now sister, have patience. Half of the fun is in the chase." Chuckles another as he materializes beside her. He stares at me with ice blue eyes twinkling with hatred while his mouth curls into a snarl. If he wasn't a hunter, I would have fallen prey to his rugged good looks. Yet, since Ruby and Tara's heads were currently dangling by his belt like trophies, rage and bloodlust overpower my every thought.