Chapter Thirty

"Oh Come on!" I groan while playfully rolling my eyes.

"I mean seriously, the way he would look at you said it all!" Ruby grinned. Several others murmured in agreement and I shook my head while fighting off a smile.

After having the heart to heart with my family, we came downstairs to enjoy the barbecue. I was pleasantly surprised to see Ruby walking around with her head attached. She assured me the hunters killed her quickly and she barely felt any pain. Still, I apologized for failing her. She in turn began to tease me about Nick.

"No listen, in all seriousness, I'm happy you guys made it. Even Fallon if you could believe me. Tell her I'm sorry for hurting Josh. I was just scared of how much I loved him, how much I still do. I pushed him away because I thought that I could save us both from heartbreak. Funnily enough, I am the one to end up dead and heartbroken and he becomes a hybrid with a gorgeous mate. I guess not all of us can be lucky. So when you go back Alora, cherish Nick. At least you got your shot at happily ever after."

My happy mood evaporated at the look of pain that settled into her eyes. I pulled her into me and she hugged me back, sniffling softly. "He loved you too Ruby, or else he wouldn't have left."

"Sure." She nodded as she pulled away. Her eyes settled on something behind me and she looked down and away. I noticed how slowly everyone copied the movement, save for myself and my father. I turn to see Hazel standing tall, with Naya beside her.

"Fear not wolves, I have simply come to return Alora to her body." She stated cooly.

"Why would they need to be afraid in the first place?" I countered.

"Be silent girl. Know your place." Naya hissed.

"Maybe you should learn yours." I bite back "I know all about you, High Priestess. Or should I say ex High Priestess. Learn when to accept defeat, and learn to do so gracefully. Being a kiss ass will get you nowhere except on Hazel's nerves."

She went to answer but Hazel rolled her eyes and spelled her mouth shut. Naya looked at her in shocked disbelief but otherwise remained still at her side.

"As I said, I like you." Hazel says with a smirk.

"Well that's a real treat, now tell me why they are afraid of you? Do you hurt them?" I all but snarl. My father places a hand on my shoulder and slightly shakes his head.

"They are here by my grace, and they respect that. Should they at any moment forget their place I have no qualms with disposing of them. Perhaps into a prison stone of their own."

The growl that erupted from my throat was so incredibly powerful that even my father bowed. "Is that a threat?"

"Take it however you please child. Do not anger me. I do not wish to harm you but I will if you forget your place."

My eyes begin to burn and feel my hands erupt into flames. The pack steps back in shock and murmur amongst themselves as Hazel rolls her eyes. She snaps her fingers expectantly. Everyone winces and waits for whatever spell she did to take effect, only nothing happens. She snaps again, this time with more force as she glares at me.

I smirk in her direction and feel the flames slowly cover my body. Naya decides she's been silent long enough and unspells her mouth to speak. "You dare challenge the strongest witch in the Umbridge line?"

"She's no longer the strongest witch." I announce and Hazel's eyes widen with shock. "Are you Hazel?"

Naya looks at her expectantly but Hazel simply waves her hand and teleports us both back into the castle, leaving the pack and Naya behind. I grin wickedly as I take a seat next to the fire and prop my feet up on the coffee table as Hazel gives me a death glare.

"What do you know?" She hisses out.

I sigh dramatically and inspect my fingernails. After a few moments of silence, she grunts out impatiently. "Tell me what you know or I shall send you back into that hellstone."

"You could." I shrug flippantly "But you won't."

"And why not?"

"You know," I begin, ignoring her question and feigning confusion. "I kept thinking and thinking. Why would you wish Rose a happy birthday in the middle of casting a spell? And, if it was her birthday why did none of her sisters celebrate it?" She stands there frozen, unblinking and I smirk "And then I got to thinking. Well, what if you got the date wrong? I mean after all, who could blame you, you're dead. You have no way to accurately tell time up here so it was obviously a miscalculation right? However, I remember Rose's shock and right then I knew it wasn't an error. No, you were right. It was her birthday, so why did she seem so shocked? Perhaps her date of birth was a secret. But why keep something like that a secret? Something wasn't adding up and I knew I was missing something. Rose and her sisters share similarities it's true, but Rose's features are more distinct. She has the trademark blue eyes sure, but she also emanates both light and dark magic. Then that got me thinking... Why would the middle sister be more powerful than the eldest? If I had to guess, I'd say that Rose is most certainly a descendant of the Umbridge line but in no way is she related to Naya and Asha. At least, not biologically."

"Enough." Hazel sneers out. "What do you want?"

I shake my head and scoff "What I want, is for the witches to move onto some other place. Leave the wolves alone. We don't need you torturing us in the afterlife. My family has been through too much to have to watch their backs and bow down to another race. We are a proud species and we bow to no one."

"What do you want." She grits out.

"I want you to create a supernatural heaven. Where all wolves can peacefully enjoy their afterlife. You've split this place up before. You can do it again. Don't you want the witches to be free? To not have to share your new home?"

"Fine. You want all the dogs to go to heaven? Consider it done. Just keep your mouth shut. The Moon Goddess has already restarted your lifeline. You will awake several minutes after your death. The law is passed. The moment your soul returns to its body all hybrids will be stripped of their vampiric abilities."

"Great." I reply cheekily as I hop to stand.

A golden door shimmers into view and I all but skip towards it, feeling the heat of Hazel's glare the entire way. I open the door and turn to face her "Oh and um, don't worry Hazel. I won't tell your little girl the truth. It'll be our little secret."

I grin at the look of distaste on her face as I step through the doorway and feel myself get pulled into the golden portal.