35.5? Epilogue (Alternative Ending)

Eyy, I'm back :)

   3rd Person POV

   Maxon fiddled with his wrist cuffs for what seemed like the hundredth time before taking a deep breath. "I don't think I can do this," he said, inhaling as he looked in the mirror. He patted his hair down again and shook his head.

   The maid in his room, Layla, chuckled and put her hand on Maxon's shoulder. "No reason to worry, Your Majesty," she said softly. "You know Y/N loves you."

   Maxon frowned at his recent title and nodded.

   The recent deaths of his parents had taken a toll on him, but he managed to set the country straight after the unfortunate events. Though the young man wasn't mentally ready to rule without his father's advice, he had to do what was best for his kingdom.

   Maxon once again pulled the ring out of his pocket and stared at it, silently praying that everything would be okay. "What if she doesn't like it?" he asked himself. "What if she says no? I-I don't know what to do if she says no. I haven't written that on my flashcards. I should've done that. Where are my flashcards, anyways? I need those things-"

   "Your Majesty," Layla interrupted. "Everything will go according to plan. You won't need your flashcards."

   Maxon, now a little calmed down, took a shaky breath before nodding. "Yes. You're right. She'll say yes. I have nothing to worry about."

   Layla smiled at the King's now calmed state and opened the door, revealing a line of staff in the hall. "You should get going, Your Majesty. You don't want to keep Y/N waiting for long, do you?" she said, the smile on her face widening as Maxon stepped out of the comfort of his room.

   He could feel his heartbeat quicken as the staff greeted him with encouragements and greetings. Being the person that he was, he bowed his head to each of the staff and thanked them for their services. As he made his way through the hall, Maxon could feel his palms moisten from his nervousness, and he mentally cursed himself for it.

   "Get it together, Maxon. There's no reason to worry. You have your flashcards with you," he mumbled idly to himself, stepping down the staircase. He could see the rest of the Selected, which consisted of  Marlee, Tiny, America, Elise, Tuesday, and the others, at the end of the hall.

   Evelyn and Fawn were on the other side of the hall and were conversing with each other softly.

   "Here," America said, handing Maxon a bouquet of f/f flowers. "They're Y/N's favorites." America gave him a wink while Aspen gave him a hard pat on the back, mumbling something on the lines of "You better treat her well."

   Maxon smiled meekly and drowned out the other messages of encouragement as he neared the double doors of the palace. Happy thought, think of happy thoughts, Maxon repeated in his mind. He could see a small part of the garden hedges, and his breath hitched as he saw glimpse of h/c hair.

   His pace slowed down as he neared the tall bushes of the garden, taking in her appearance.

   Her h/l hair was styled perfectly, and her dress contrasted perfectly with her s/c skin. There was a soft expression on her face as she admired the blooming flowers around her; the cherry blossom trees around her framed her figure angelically. The pastel petals fell around the girl, making Maxon's heart swell.

   "Wow," he said, stepping out from behind his hiding spot. "You look beautiful."

   Y/N jumped at Maxon's voice and looked up. "Ah, Maxon!" she said happily.

   There was a smile on her face from the sight of her lover. "You're here! I don't really know why Layla gave me this dress," she gestured to the floor-length ballgown she was wearing, "but I like it!"

   The intricate floral designs cascaded down the cream-colored dress beautifully; the gold accents on the heart shaped neckline made the dress pop out. (So just imagine Cinderella's dress from the live action with flowers. And it's cream)

   Maxon's eyes were filled with love as he gazed over the girl in front of him. "You look beautiful," he repeated, reaching into his pocket to feel his flashcards. "There's actually a reason for the dress."

   Y/N's head tilted to the side as he reached into his pocket to grab the stack of cards.

   However, as Maxon pulled the cards out, his hand slipped, and the cards scattered out on the floor. "Ah!"

   Y/N's laughs could be heard as Maxon fumbled to grab them.

   "Oh, forget about these things," he said, throwing the cards that were still in his hand onto the floor.

   "Maxon, what are you..." Y/N's voice trailed off as Maxon kneeled down on one leg.

   "Y/N," he started, looking up at the girl who had stolen his heart. "You are the most amazing person I've met. You've changed me in the best way possible, and I love you so much for it. I never knew this contest would make me the happiest man on Earth. I know many people say this to their significant others, but I really mean it.

   "You're so perfectly imperfect, darling. I love your smile, and your hair, and your voice; I love everything about you."

   Maxon paused. "Thank you so much for being there for me, Y/N. I assume you already knew this was going to happen, but I wanted it to be special. I want you to feel the happiness that you bring me. I want to wake up every morning and see your face. I want to cherish you for eternity, darling. I want to have kids and watch them grow. I want to be by your side as we grow old. I want to stay with you forever, love. That's why..." He reached into his other pocket and grabbed the box that contained the ring.

   He held it out to the girl. "Will you marry me?"

   There was a moment of silence between the pair before Y/N jumped onto Maxon, wrapping her hands around his neck.

   "Of course! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!" she cried, shoving her face into Maxon's neck. "I love you so much, Maxon."

   Maxon smiled before wrapping his arms around the girl's torso. "I love you, too."

1069 wordsssss. So. It's been a long time, hasn't it? Maybe a year...? I honestly don't know- ANYWAYS- I just want to thank all of you for reading this story! I honestly don't really know how y'all kept up with this because middle school/freshman me was not the greatest writer. (I'm still not tbh but we don't talk about that 😃) BUT STILL- LIKE- over 40K reads???? Bro, y'all are gonna make me cry- I FEEL LOVED- So, my beautiful lovelies, stay safe during this pandemic and have a wonderful day!