6. The Choosing

"Mom!" I screamed, shaking her unconscious form. 

   Isa was next to me, also shaking her. Tears streamed down my cheeks and fell onto the hospital bed. I sobbed as the machine beeped faster, signaling that her heart beat was abnormal. The nurses rushed in the room and moved her to another bed, pushing her out the room.

Flashback

   "Isa," I said, softly, wrapping my bleeding hands in bandages.

   She hummed in response, not really paying attention to me.

   "What would you do if I was picked?" I asked her.

   She froze and stopped working on her drawing. She looked up at me and smiled widely. "Well, first, I would be really happy and start jumping around everywhere; second, I would brag to everyone I see; and third, I would... tell Mom," she said.

   I looked up from my bandaged hands to see her teary- eyed. "Oh, Isa." I sighed.

   "Is Mom going to be okay?" she whispered, looking at her drawing.

   I looked over to her drawing, and my heart broke. I was Mom. Isa, being the talented drawer she is, put every single detail in her drawing, making it seem real. I smiled sadly and hugged her, squeezing her tightly.

   "Of course. Everything's going to be alright," I said softly. I smoothed her dark hair gently.

   Isa hugged me tighter and sniffled. "I know... it's just that... wh-what if something happens?" she whispered.

   I let go of her and frowned. "Don't think like that. Nothing's going to happen. Everything is going to be okay," I said, holding onto her shoulders.

   She nodded and wiped away the tears running down her face. I looked into her eyes and smiled.

   "Hey, don't be sad. Remember, I signed up for the Selection for Mom. I might have a chance to be picked." I winked.

   Isa giggled and nodded. "Just imagine if you were picked! We'll finally have the money to pay for Mom's treatment! And-" she giggled, "-you might be with Prince Maxon!"

   I sighed. "Isa, I already told you. I'm not sure if I even like the prince. That'll probably get me kicked out on the first day... if I'm even picked," I said, scratching the back of my neck.

    "Oh, don't think like that!" she exclaimed, mimicking me. "You gotta be optimistic! Think positively!" She threw her arms into the air, almost falling off the hospital bed. 

   I laughed and grabbed her arm, steadying her. All of a sudden, the monitor started beeping. Isa and I looked at each other, our eyes wide. Mom started to shake, and Isa screamed for the nurse, who came rushing in.

End of Flashback

   I sat in front of the emergency room, Isa crying quietly beside me. I sighed and rubbed her head, and she looked up to me.

   "Mom's going to be okay, right?" she whimpered.

   I faked a smile. "Of course," I said hesitantly. I looked down at my shoes as if they were the most interesting things in the world.

   "Good evening, Your Majesty."

   I looked up and saw Gavril Fadaye on the television.

   The king smiled at him and replied, "Gavril, always good to see you."

   "Looking forward to the announcement?" Gavril said, a mischievous glint in his eye.

   "Yes! I was in the room yesterday as a few were drawn; all very lovely girls."

   They must be announcing who got chosen, I thought. Isa sat up and stared at the television with great interest.

   Gavril nodded. "So you know who they are already?"

   "Just a few," the king said, smiling a little. 

   Gavril turned to the queen. "Any advice foe the Selected, Your Majesty?" he said.

   Queen Amberly gave a beautifully blinding smile and turned to the camera. "Enjoy your last night as an average girl. Tomorrow, no matter what, your life will be different forever! Remember, be yourself."

   "Wise words, my queen, wise words. And with that, let us reveal the thirty-five young ladies chosen for the Selection. Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in congratulating the following Daughters of Illéa!" Gavril held up a stack of cards and started to read them.

   The screen changed, and the emblem appeared on the screen. Mason's face was in the right-hand corner of the screen.

   "Miss Elayna Stoles of Hansport, Three." A girl appeared on the screen.

   I sighed and watched at the screen changed to another girl.

   "Miss Tuesday Keeper of Waverly, Four." 

   I cocked my head to the side as Isa sniffled and wiped her tears away and suddenly beamed. She was waiting for my name. Though, it was impossible, in my opinion.

   "Miss Fiona Castley of Paloma, Three." A girl with brown hair popped up on the screen.

   I rolled my eyes. She looked... experienced. Especially when her dress was so low you could see her cleavage.

   Isa snickered.

   "Miss America Singer of Carolina, Five." A girl with flaming red hair popped up, and her smile was... blinding. She looked so in love.

   I looked at my shoes again and closed my eyes.

   "Miss Y/N L/N of Allens, Six."

   My head shot up at my name, and I saw my picture on the screen. My h/c hair swept up in a stylish braid to the side, my cheerful smile, and my beaming, e/c eyes.

   Isa screamed and jumped up as a nurse turned the corner to see what was going on. She saw the television and looked at me, her eyes wide.

   I sat there, frozen, looking at the screen. The picture changed, but I was still looking at the screen.

   Isa screamed again and hugged me tightly. "Y/N! You got chosen! You got chosen!" she screamed.

   I snapped out of my gaze and hugged her back, laughing. I stood up and swung her tiny body into the air.

   "We'll have enough money to pay for Mom's hospital bill!" I said happily. I set Isa on the ground and smiled happily.

   "And you get to see the prince!" Isa exclaimed, clapping happily.

   My smile faded, and I looked at the television and at Prince Maxon.  I had to admit, he was very cute.

   "Yeah," I breathed, "Prince Maxon Schreave of Illéa." I looked at him again. "I guess I could... make it work."

1036 words! Yay! Thank you so much for reading this fanfic! Ooh, I don't know how to thank you enough! Once again, I'm really sorry for not updating in a while. I haven't really found any time to write, and I have a little writer's block right now... hehe. Don't forget to vote and comment!  Anyways, have a wonderful day.