17. Confession

I fiddled with my fingers as I sat down on my bed, waiting for Maxon to come. He usually did every night, at exactly nine o' clock, but it was already eleven o' clock.

   I sighed and started to fiddle with my nightgown.

   "Are you alright, Miss?" Fawn asked softly. She sat down next to me, and I looked at her sadly.

   "Yes, Fawn, I'm alright. Just a little confused, that's all." I faked a smile. Kriss' birthday party had ended, and Maxon was nowhere to be found. At least, that was what the staff said.

   "There's nothing to be worried about, Miss," Fawn whispered.

   I nodded and smiled. "Yeah, you're right."

A Few Hours Earlier...

Maxon's POV 

   I sprinted through the halls while following Kriss. I could hear her sobs in the halls, and my heart hurt. 

   Kriss turned right and up the stairs towards all the girls' rooms. Her cries echoed in the halls, and I ran faster.

   How does she run so fast in heels and a gown? I thought as I ran up the stairs after her.

   "Kriss!" I called while panting a little.

   She stopped and turned to look at me but quickly turned and started running again.

   I sighed and ran up the stairs again, my calves burning.  I heard a door open and slam shut, and I climbed up the remaining stairs and went to the source of the sounds. I got to a door and knocked on it.

   "Kriss?" There was no answer, but I could hear sniffling. "Kriss, my dear, please open the door."

   "Prince Maxon? I'm sorry, but I can't talk right now," she responded, and I could tell she was right behind the door due to how close she sounded.

   "But you're talking right now," I argued, a hint of playfulness in my voice.

   Kriss chuckled a bit. "But I don't look presentable right now. I look like someone's stabbed my stomach, and my mascara is all over my face. I don't you want to see that right now," she explained.

   I smiled softly. "Kriss, trust me when I say how you look is the last thing on my mind right now. I just want to talk to you."

   Kriss didn't answer.

   I looked at the floor before turning around to leave. Then I heard a creak from the door.

   "Your Highness?" 

   I turned back around and saw that Kriss changed into a simple nightgown. Her mascara was cone along with all her makeup.

   "Kriss!" I explained happily. 

   She smiled shyly, and for the first time, I noticed how beautiful she looked. Her nightgown flowed as she moved, and her smile was so bright and cheerful.

   I mentally slapped myself. No, Maxon, you already like someone else! I thought.

   "Are you alright?" she asked, her voice soft and pretty.

   I blushed and nodded quickly. "Yes, I'm quite alright."

   "But your face is red. Are you sure you're alright?" she asked again.

   This girl is so kind, I thought. "Yes, I'm alright. It's just a little hot in here," I explained while fanning myself to convince her.

   She giggled and stepped out from the doorway. "Would you like to come in? I have tea," she said.

   I smiled. "That would be lovely."

Y/N's POV

   I started to pace back and forth in my room while Layla watched me. 

   "I'm sure nothing's wrong," Layla said softly, her eyes glued onto me.

   I shook my head. "It's already late, and he's usually not this late." I gasped. "What if something bad happened to him?"

   Layla shook her head. "I'm sure he's alright. Besides, we have many guards and cameras in the palace; nothing will happen to His Highness," she said calmly.

   I sat down on the edge of my bed and nodded. "You're right. He's the prince. He won't get kidnapped by rebels, right?" 

   Fawn giggled a little, and Layla glared at her. 

   "I'm sorry, Miss, it's just that you're so adorable when you worry. You look like a puppy," Fawn said, laughing.

   I smiled and took a deep breath. "I'm just overreacting. He's the prince, and princes are busy sometimes. Maybe he's just doing some paperwork," I concluded.

Maxon's POV

   "Kriss, my dear, we really have to talk more," I said happily while drinking my tea.

   Kriss blushed and nodded. "Yes, we really do, Your Highness," she whispered.

   I cocked my head. "Maxon. Call me Maxon," I responded. 

   Kriss looked up at me with a red tint in her cheeks. "M-Maxon?" she said a little surprised. "But you're the prince! I have to call you with some formality! I can't just-"

   "Please, just call me Maxon. It's more... friendly." I scratched the back of my neck in embarrassment.

   Kriss giggled and grabbed my hand. "It's alright... Maxon. I understand you want to be a normal person once in a while," she said softly.

   And for the first time, I realized how beautiful she was. Her brown hair draped gracefully over shoulders as she moved, her chocolate brown eyes glistened in the light, and her pink lips pouted slightly when she talked.

   I blushed and looked away from her because of my red cheeks. "Yes, I do want to sometimes," I said softly, trying to calm myself down.

   It didn't help that her soft, petite hand draped on top of mine.

   I closed my eyes and thought about puppies to help myself calm down. One puppy... two puppies... three puppies... four...

   "Are you alright?" Kriss asked in her velvet voice.

   My mind floated away from the adorable creatures, and I focused on her angelic face. "Yes, I'm fine. I just have a little headache, but thank you for worrying."

   Kriss suddenly gasped and went to her desk. She grabbed something and hid it behind her back while giggling.

   I raised my eyebrow as she sat down and smiled brightly at me. 

   "I have something for you!" she said as she pulled out a homemade card and held it out to me.

   My heart warmed up and I smiled brightly while taking the card. "This is the first gift anyone has given me. And by 'anyone', I mean the girls..."

   Kriss bit her lip and took a deep breath. "Maxon, I just wanted to say that you're an amazing person and that I am so grateful for being selected into this competition. I know I don't have a very big chance of getting selected, but I just wanted to say that."

   I smiled at her.

   "I... really like you."

1085 words! Oooh, try to guess who said those last words!! School is finally over which means I can focus more on finishing this story! Yay! Also, I miraculously only missed 2 questions on the algebra EOC... and I have no idea how that happened! Sadly, I made it into 2nd band, but I don't think that's really bad for a freshman... right? Anyways, don't forget to vote and comment! Have a wonderful day!