24. The Ball

I gasped as Layla showed me the beautiful gown. It was a hummingbird costume, and the top was lined with beautiful purple and green feathers while the bottom of the gown was an ombre from green to blue to purple.

   There were little wings at the back, and it came with a mask which was also lined with blue feathers.

   "It's beautiful!" I exclaimed as the trio smiled back.

   "Really?" Fawn asked, "It's not too over the top?"

   I shook my head immediately. "It's perfect!" I took the gown and smiled; tears formed in my eyes. "Thank you so much."

   The trio squealed and embraced me.

Layla quickly pulled away and handed me the dress. "Go put it on!" she said. "I'm sure everyone wants to see how beautiful it looks on you."

I smiled and delicately took the dress from her. Surprisingly, it was pretty heavy considering it was pretty short.

I made my way to the bathroom and closed the door. I held up my dress and was in awe once again. "It's so pretty," I whispered.

I slowly stripped my nightgown off and started to hum as I put the dress on. I zipped up the back with ease since the zipper was already really high up my back. I fixed the little wings for the were a little crooked when I put them on, and I looked in the mirror.

I gasped as I saw my reflection. The blue, green, and purple complimented my eyes, and the dress felt snug around my waist. I smiled widely and fixed my hair a bit before walking out of the restroom.

I was greeted by the three excited girls, and they immediately squealed when they saw me.

"It's perfect!" Fawn exclaimed, rushing towards me and grabbing my hands. "Perfect!"

Layla and Evelyn nodded.

"It brings out your eyes, Miss. It looks beautiful on you, just as I predicted," Fawn said, gushing at the dress.

   Evelyn strode over to my desk and grabbed a necklace off my jewelry box. It was the necklace that my mom gave me.

   The necklace itself was a hummingbird which I got my costume idea from. There was a purple gem in the middle, and I remember getting it for my sixteenth birthday. My mom had saved a lot of money for it, and I only wore it on special occasions.

Evelyn unhooked it and put it on my neck, the cold metal sending a chill down my spine.

"There," she stated, clasping her hands together in delight. "It's the finishing touch."

"Actually," Layla started, "This is the finishing touch."

Layla put the feathered mask on my face and grinned at me.

Of course, my vision was limited due to the mask covering a part of my eyes, but I still grinned widely. "Can you recognize me?" I asked. "I know it's not a masquerade ball, but..."

The trio all smiled softly.

"I can still recognize you, Miss. It's not difficult to see your H/C hair and your E/C eyes," Evelyn said, giggling a little.

   I grinned and thanked her. "Thank you," I mumbled, my pinks turning pink due to me not used to getting compliments.

   "Well," Layla said, "the ball still starts in a few hours, so fo you want to do anything before?"

   "Of course, we have to do your hair and makeup, but that'll only take about an hour or so," Evelyn added.

   I cocked my head to the side and slowly took my mask off. "Well, I was wondering if I could invite Isa and my mother here? I haven't seen them in a few days because of what happened, and I kind of wanted to spend a little time with them since they might be going home in a few days or so," I said.

   The trio lit up.

   "That's a wonderful idea, Miss! It's wonderful having Isa here! And your mother!" Fawn said, clapping excitedly at the mention of Isa.

   I smiled as the three girls fangirled over Isa. There weren't a lot of children at the palace, and there definitely weren't any ones that liked playing dress-up.

   Fawn excitedly ran over to my closet and pulled out a dress I had never seen before. It was smaller than my other dresses, but it was still very beautiful.

   "I made this for Isa!" Fawn said. "I hope you don't mind, Miss."

   I smiled. "I don't mind at all," I stated, "I actually think it's quite lovely that you made a dress for her!"

   Layla nodded. "That was really sweet of you, Fawn," she said, pride visible on her face.

   Fawn smiled softly. "Thank you. It's just that... I've never had a sister, and it just feels so exciting to finally 'have' one," she said softly.

   Evelyn, Layla, and I all rushed to Fawn and embraced her.

   "Well, you have us now!" Evelyn said.

Time Skip~

   I smoothed my costume down for the millionth time before looking in the mirror again. Layla put my hair in gorgeous beach waves that cascaded down my feathery dress. I carefully put my mask on with the help of Isa.

   "Thank you, Isa," I said cheerfully.

   Isa skipped around my room and started to twirl in her dress. The dress flowed around her, making Fawn squeal.

   "It's beautiful!" she exclaimed, going over to Isa and examining her dress. 

   There was a knock at the door, making all of us freeze.

   Layla opened the door and gasped. "Your Highness!" she exclaimed, curtsying. 

   "May I come in?" he asked, trying to peer over Layla.

   Layla quickly blocked his view and shook her head. "Miss Y/N would like to keep her costume a surprise. I promise you will be breath taken once you see her at the ball, Your Highness."

   Maxon raised his eyebrow. "A surprise?" he asked.

   Layla nodded quickly. "Yes, Your Highness. You see, Miss Y/N looks stunning, and I want you to be surprised once you see her," she said quickly, closing the door slowly.

   "Have a wonderful day, Your Highness!"

   "Wait-"

   Layla closed the door before he could say another word and turned to me. "I want you to be the belle of the ball, Miss. It's the least I can do for you."

   I smiled and nodded understandingly. "Alright then. Now... do you guys know how to dance?"

1056 words! I am so sorry I haven't updated in a while, but the good news is that marching season is FINALLY over!! Yay!! *throws confetti* That means I have more time to update!! *throws even more confetti* Thank you all for being so patient and lovely! I love reading the comments because it makes me feel like I've accomplished something nice. Once again, thank y'all so much! I love you~