11. The Encounter

I went up the grand staircase, following the other girls in front of me. We were going to our rooms.

"Oh, you're room is next to mine, right?" Marlee squealed.

I nodded and smiled brightly. "Yup!" I said excitedly.

America walked on the other side of me. "My room is next to Marlee's, right?" she said, looking over at Marlee.

Marlee nodded excitedly. "That means I'm in the middle! Yay!" She wrapped her arm around my shoulders.

"Let's go!" she said loudly, walking quickly.

I laughed as she pulled me along, and I grabbed America's hand in the process.

"Ladies!" the woman in charge, Silvia, scolded.

We immediately stopped and looked at her.

"That is not how ladies should act," she said, striding up the stairs.

I straightened my posture and stole a glance at Marlee and America, who were both fiddling with their fingers.

"I sincerely apologize," I said as ladylike as I could. "We won't do it again." I then curtsied.

Silvia looked over at Marlee and America, who both nodded and curtsied.

"I'm really sorry," America mumbled.

Silvia raised her eyebrow. "Speak up, Lady America. A lady should not mumble. It is not polite," she scolded, making America lower her head.

"I'm sorry, too. It was my fault. I was too excited," Marlee chimed in, making Silvia nod at her.

Silvia nodded again. "It's alright to be a little excited, but you should be excited while acting like a lady. No screaming or laughing too hard, nor squealing or running. Is that clear?" she trilled.

We nodded simultaneously, making her satisfied.

"Yes, Silvia," I chorused, making her smile a little at me.

She cleared her throat and waved us off. "Now, go to your room. Tomorrow will be a very eventful day." A small smirk appeared on her lips. "You will meet the prince."

America grabbed both mine and Marlee's hands and pulled us up the stair, this time slowly. "She's a level headed, palace-hardened machine," America mumbled under her breath, making me gasp and chuckle.

I opened the door to my room and was surprised when I saw three girls in it. They all had the same uniform on, though the one in the middle looked like the leader.

"Hello, Lady Y/N," the one in the middle said, and they all curtsied.

"Hello. May I ask why you're here?" I said.

The one on the right nodded. "We're your personal maids, Miss. We stay in your room and help you," she explained, curtsying again.

"Oh." I looked at the one on the left, who looked extremely nervous for some reason. "What are your names?" I asked politely.

The one in the middle spoke. "My name is Layla, Miss," she said.

The one on the right spoke next. "My name is Evelyn, Miss," she chimed, smiling brightly.

I looked to the one on the left, and she immediately curtsied. "M-My name i-is Fawn, M-Miss," she said, shaking noticeably.

I smiled at the three of them. "Layla, Evelyn, and Fawn," I said, their names rolling off my tongue. "Lovely."