16. The Birthday Party

I closed my eyes slowly and looked up to the blue, cloudless sky, a gentle smile appearing on my face as a small breeze blew into my face. I opened my eyes and took a deep breath and the sweet aroma of flowers filling me up. 

   "Wonderful day, isn't it?" 

   I turned around and saw Maxon, his usual formal suit replaced with a very casual button-down shirt.

   "Maxon!" I exclaimed and ran into his outstretched arms.

   I giggled softly and set out a sigh of satisfaction as I was engulfed in his arms. "I missed you," I said into his chest.

   "I missed you, too, love." He kissed the top of my head.

   We stood there for a few minutes just enjoying the feeling of each others' company. I buried my face into his shirt and hugged him tighter, thinking about the other thirty or so girls inside the humongous castle who were also getting this attention.

   My heart sank as I thought about why I was really at the palace. I thought about my mother, Isa, and Maxon. I thought about how much I had fallen in love in the span of a few months. I bit my lip as I imagined him falling in love with another woman. A small sniffle erupted from me, and I could feel Maxon stiffen. 

   Maxon let go of me and cocked his head to the side slightly after seeing the saddened look on my face. "What's wrong, love? Is something bothering you?"

   I looked away for a second before smiling at him. But of course, it was a little forced. "No, of course not! I'm just a little famished, that's all," I lied swiftly. I could tell he didn't believe me because he frowned slightly.

   I bent down and grabbed my book from the picnic blanket I was sitting on. I grazed my finger over the foil title slowly as if feeling a baby. I could feel Maxon's stare as I picked the blanket up and folded it into a little bundle.

   "Something is wrong, isn't there?" Maxon concluded.

   "Nothing's wrong! I think you're just being a little protective," I said gently, glancing over to see him examining my hand before taking it.

   "Something is wrong." He put my hand closer to his face. "You bit your nails. You only bite your nails when something's wrong. What is it?"

   I blushed a little but looked away as soon as his eyes met mine. "As I said, it's nothing. And if there was something... you probably can't do anything about it." I mumbled the last part and took my hand away from his grasp.

   I looked at Maxon again to find his hurt eyes. He probably heard me. I scooped up the remaining items in the grass and curtsied at him. "Have a nice day, Your Highness," I remarked, walking away as fast as I could in my heels.

   "Y/N!"

   I didn't look back and kept walking, a tear escaping my eye as I swiftly turned the corner only to be greeted by a guard's chest. 

   "Ow!" I retorted, my book sliding to the other side if the hall. 

   I could hear Maxon's footsteps quickening as the guard reached his hand out to help me out. And as I looked at his face... so was my heart.

   "I am so sorry, my lady! Here, let me help you," he said calmly, and I grabbed his hand uncertainly.

   I curtsied at him before grabbing my blanket and other belongings off the ground. "It's quite alright." 

   I could hear Maxon's footsteps approaching me, and I had no choice but to face him. I looked into his eyes and almost gasped at the sight of them. His chocolate brown eyes glistened with tears and sadness as he bent down to pick up my book from the floor. I had never felt so guilty in my life.