15. The Rebel Attack

I giggled as Maxon attempted to read the foreign book.

   "How do you read this?" he asked, clearly confused.

   I giggled again and pointed to each character individually. "Sa. Rang. Hae. Yo," I said, pausing in between each syllable.

   "What does it mean?" he asked, still trying to find out how I read it.

   I smiled brightly. "It means 'I love you'," I said, tapping the tip of his nose playfully.

   Maxon squinted and looked at me. "What language is this?" he asked, trying to see how I got the word.

   "It's Korean. Well, the language is Korean, but this-" I pointed to the writing. "-is Hangul. My mom wanted me to learn another language, and I chose Korean. It just seemed so cool to be able to write in a language no one else understood," I explained.

   Maxon nodded. "I see. Do you want to learn a language other than Korean now?" he asked, tucking a stray strand of hair behind my ear.

   I tapped my chin before nodding. "I want to learn French... The language just sounds so pretty, you know?"

   Maxon smiled and rested his chin on his palm. "French... The language of love!" 

   I laughed as he stood up from the bed and began to waltz with an invisible person.

   "Let us dance, ma chérie," he said, pulling me up and spinning me around.

   Maxon glided me across the floor and spun me around again. "Have you ever thought of taking dance lessons?" he asked me after I stumbled for the third time.

   "I did... I'm actually way better than how I used to be..." I said, making a pouty face at him.

   He looked a little shocked, and he laughed nervously. "Ah, you're wonderful at dancing, ma chérie! Fantastic, actually!" he exclaimed, spinning me around once more.

   I chuckled and wrapped my arms around his neck. "I was just kidding. Actually... I wasn't kidding about the lessons part; I actually took them. I was just kidding about being mad," I said, smirking at him.

   Maxon wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him, making me blush.

   "If I could... I would just end this whole 'Selection' thing now," he whispered, looking into my eyes.

   I smiled. A month had passed since I first got to the palace, and Maxon and I have gotten closer every day.

   "Well, technically you could," I said slyly, "you are the prince!"

   He opened his mouth to reply, but a jarring alarm cut him off in the process.

   The door opened and revealed one of the maids who once served America.

   "My lady! Your Highness!" she said. "The Rebels got in! You have to come with me!" 

   Maxon grabbed my arm and started to sprint down the palace halls, the maid following behind.

   Since I was still wearing my heels, I was getting dragged by Maxon.

   "Come on, Y/N! The Rebels might see us!" Maxon said, running even faster.

   I tried to run faster, but I ended up twisting my ankle in the process.

   Ugh, these heels! I thought, collapsing on the floor due to the pain.

   Maxon stopped and picked me up bridal-style. "Are you alright?" he said as he started to run again.

   I nodded and wrapped my arms around his neck, tears running down my cheeks.

   The maid struggled to keep up and took her shoes off in the end, leaving them in the empty palace hall. 

   Maxon sprinted down the hall and turned right where a couple of guards were waiting.

   "Your Highness!" one said, rushing over to us.

   I winced in pain as the guard accidentally bumped into my ankle.

   The other guard opened the door, and Maxon carried me inside and put me on a couch. 

   The maid, whose eyes were watery, turned and started to head to another part of the palace.

   "Wait!" I said to her.

   She turned around and looked at me. "Yes, Miss? Do you need anything? Some ice or some water, perhaps?" she suggested, coming towards me.

   "I want you to stay with me."

   Her eyes widened, and she shook her head immediately. "I can't, Miss! Maids have to stay in another room! I can't possibly-"

   "Stay," I said, grabbing her wrist. "Please."

   She opened her mouth to respond, but I cut her off.

   "That's an order," I said sternly, frowning at her. I then smiled gently. "What's your name? You helped me so much."

   She curtsied which made me let go of her wrist. "Anne, Miss. My name is Anne."

   I smiled widely. "Anne. Please sit down next to me, Anne." I patted the area beside me and moved my leg so she could sit.

   Anne smiled and sat down next to me. "Thank you, Miss. You know, you remind me of Lady America when she was still here," she said while fiddling with her fingers.

   "America was awesome," I said, smiling at her. "So, thank you for that compliment!"

   Anne chuckled and sighed. "I miss her so much," she said softly.

   I patted her back soothingly. "It's alright," I said awkwardly, not really knowing what to say. 

   She smiled at me. "Thank you, Miss."

   Maxon came through the door with a bag of ice and a metal box. "Y/N!" he said.

   I looked up and smiled at him. "Maxon!" I said, forgetting about my ankle and standing up suddenly. 

   I winced and collapsed on the floor while clutching my ankle. 

   "Y/N!" Maxon said as he bent down and grabbed my foot while inspecting it. "It's definitely sprained," he mumbled before grabbing his metal box.

   Anne knelt down next to me and took my heels off to give Maxon more access to my ankle. "That looks really bad," she whispered.

   Maxon furrowed his eyebrows in response as he put ice on my ankle, making me sigh in satisfaction.

   "Thank you," I said to both of them as Maxon took the ice off my ankle and replaced it with a bandage.

   "It's not much, but at least it's better than nothing," he said and looked at me. "Are you sure you're alright?"

   I nodded. "I'm alright. I promise," I said, sticking my pinky up at him.

   He smiled and wrapped his pinky around mine then leaning down and kissing my forehead tenderly. 

   "Perfect."

1048 words! Yay! I wanted to make it up to you guys for not updating in such a long time, so I whipped up this chapter! (Though it still took a long time...) I will try my best to update sooner, but because of exams and upcoming high school band auditions *screams internally* I might not be able to update... I will still try, though! Anyways, don't forget to vote and comment! Have a wonderful day!