26. Marlee...

I walked back to the ballroom, my hand intertwined with Maxon's. I leaned into him in order to absorb his heat, the cold weather outside making me shiver.

   Maxon noticed my shivering and smiled softly. "Here, love." He took the torn jacket from around his waist and wrapped it around my shoulders.

   I immediately sighed in comfort and smiled up at him. "Thank you," I said shyly, my cheeks turning red. 

   I don't know if it was from the cold or from Maxon's presence.

   "Anything for you, love." He kissed the top of my head and took my mask off.

   I blinked a few times and looked around. "Wow," I exclaimed, "that was really blocking my vision."

   "And your beautiful eyes," Maxon said, snaking his arm around my waist.

   All of a sudden, a shriek came from the end of the hallway, along with a group of guards that ran past us.

   Maxon furrowed his eyebrows and tightened his grip around my waist.

   A guard came in front of us and bowed at Maxon

   "There's nothing to worry about, Your Highness. There's only a slight..." His eyes wandered to me. "Only a slight misunderstanding. The problem will be resolved shortly," he said, bowing to Maxon before joining the group of guards.

   I glanced at Maxon and went closer to him. "Everything's okay, right?" I asked.

   Maxon looked at the hallway before grinning at me. "Yes. Everything's alright. The guards will take care of it, and if it's urgent, they'll send me a letter."

   I nodded, and Maxon started walking back to the ballroom, making me go with him.

   I looked at the hallway one more time and saw a woman getting separated from a man. However, they were too far to be recognized. 

   I wonder what happened, I thought.

   In the end, Maxon brought me to my room. 

   "It's been a long night," Maxon said. "You should go to sleep."

   I nodded. "Thank you for tonight, Maxon. I had a really fun time with you."

   Maxon smiled and gave me a soft kiss on the lips. Instinctively, I closed my eyes at his touch. He pulled away from me quickly at the sound of footsteps.

   "Y-Your Highness! Miss!" Fawn exclaimed, dropping the basket of fabric she was carrying. "I am so sorry for interrupting you!"

   I stood up to stop her, but she had already run away, leaving me and Maxon.

   Maxon started to laugh. "Ah, that was hilarious!" he exclaimed, kissing me again.

   I melted into the kiss and smiled. 

   I pulled away and smiled at Maxon, yawning. "I should go to bed," I said softly, batting my eyelashes at him.

   Maxon smiled softly. "Of course, love. Here, do you want me to tuck you in?" he teased, earning a glare from me.

   I pushed him out of the room and locked the door. "Goodnight, Maxon!" I called, ignoring his pleads for me to open the door.

   I giggled and quickly changed in my nightgown, unlocking the door and opening it. I looked out the hallway and saw no one but Aspen outside the door. I gave a quick wave to him before closing the door and leaping onto my bed.