20. Surprise!

"A what?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

   "A ball, Miss, a ball!" Fawn called out, skipping around the room. "It's for this thing called 'Halloween'! Apparently, Prince Maxon found out about it in the palace library! And it's on Friday!"

   I blinked and stared at the trio while they skipped around the room happily. "And they're holding a ball for it?" 

   Layla nodded happily. "Yup! And that means we get to make your costume! That you will design!" she said while clapping her hands.

   I froze with my mouth open in shock. "Wait... I have to design it? B-but I can't even draw a stick figure without it looking all... messed up! How am I supposed to design a dress?" I asked.

   I imagined what a dress looks like if I designed it, and I shuddered slightly at the thought.

   The trio chuckled. "We'll help you!" Evelyn said.

   "Yup! That we will," Layla stated.

   I sighed and shrugged. "Well, in that case, let's get started!"

Time Skipppp

   I groaned and hit my head against the table in frustration, the crumbled papers all over my desk falling in the process. "I can't do it."

   I heard Evelyn sigh. "It's alright, Miss. Here, what are some things you like? We can base it off of that!" she suggested.

   I looked at her and pursed my lips in thought. "Um... books? Music?" I said hesitantly.

   Layla and Fawn looked at each other.

   "Well... This might take a while," Evelyn said, rubbing the back of her neck.

   I put my head on the desk again and sighed. I closed my eyes and thought about what comforted me in Allen. Home.

   I gasped and immediately sat up, grinning.

   "What?" Layla asked. "Did you think of something?"

   I smiled and nodded excitedly, picking up my pencil and sketching my idea. I smiled after I drew it, and I showed it to the trio.

   "That... That looks great!" Evelyn said. 

   Fawn and Layla nodded. 

   Layla took the sketch from me and grinned. "We'll get started on making this, okay? The only thing you need to do is relax. And maybe greet your family," she said, walking out of the room.

   "Greet... my family?" I mumbled to myself. "How could I...?"

   Layla smiled softly. "It was the Prince," she said.

   I gasped and ran towards the door. I opened it and sprinted down the hallway, and I saw the other girls' families walk in the castle. I spotted Maxon and immediately went up to him.

   "Maxon!" I said to him. "You didn't tell me this!"

   Maxon smiled. "I know I didn't. It was my surprise for you," he said, a small blush creeping up his cheeks.

   "Really?" I said, my expression softening.

   Maxon smiled sheepishly. "Well, yeah. I know how much you love and miss your family, so I decided to surprise you. They'll be here until next-"

   I interrupted him by hugging him tightly. "Thank you so much!"

   Maxon chuckled and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Anything for you, love," he whispered softly, tightening his grip on me.

   I blushed and hugged him tighter. "Thank you."

   Maxon let go of me, and his cheeks were tinted red. "So," he started, "y-you should look for your family!"

   I nodded and smiled shyly. "Y-yeah! I should." I slowly walked away, but I looked at him before I did. I smiled sweetly and turned away, looking around for a familiar face.

   I walked around while humming. I saw the other girls reunited with their families; they embraced each other like there was no tomorrow.

   I smiled at the sight and walked towards the door.

   "Y/N!" 

   I turned around and saw Isa running towards me. "Isa!" I exclaimed quite loudly. 

   Sylvia glared at me because of my sudden outburst, but I didn't care.

   She ran even faster and embraced me tightly. "Y/N! I missed you so much!" she said, digging her face into my shoulder.

   I hugged her back and laughed. I pulled away and gasped. "Oh! You've grown so much! At this rate, you might grow taller than me!" I said, patting the top of her head.

   She giggled and hugged me again. 

   "You should thank Prince Maxon," I told her. "It was his idea after all."

   Isa pulled away and followed my eyes to where Maxon was standing. She blushed and pushed me towards him, hiding behind me. She grabbed my shoulders and peeked around me so she could see.

   I chuckled and shook my head.

   "Prince Maxon," Isa said as soon as we got to him. Her voice was a little muffled due to her looking down.

   Maxon looked at Isa hiding behind me and smiled. "What is it, sweetie?" he said softly, trying to look behind my shoulder.

   Isa blushed and hid even more. "I just wanted to thank you for inviting us to the palace," she explained, her face as red as a tomato.

   Wait... us?

   Maxon smiled and smoothed her hair down when I moved. "You're very welcome." He cocked his head. "You know, I think I'm going to have one of the seamstresses make you a gown," he said.

   Isa gasped and looked at me, her eyes shining. She then looked at Maxon and hugged him, catching him by surprise. "Thank you!"

   Maxon laughed and hugged her back. He then picked her up and swung her around before putting her down. 

   Isa giggled and pecked his cheek before squealing and hiding behind me again. 

   I laughed. "Aw, Isa!" I exclaimed.

   Maxon looked behind me before smiling softly. He nodded at Isa before looking at me. "Well, I think I should go. Bye, Isa!" he said. 

   Isa nodded back and waved shyly, making me raise my eyebrow in confusion.

   Maxon walked over to me and kissed my cheek before whispering, "I'll see you later, love."

   He walked away to another family, shaking their hands and conversing with them.

   "Y/N?"

   I knew the owner of the voice by heart.

   I turned around quickly at the sound of my name being called. I covered my mouth in shock, and tears started to brim my eyes.

   "Mom?"

1022 words! Umm, thank you all for reading this! To be honest, I don't really have a valid reason for why I haven't updated; I just started practicing for a summer concert, and I just watched season three of "Attack on Titan" (The ending made me cry wATERFALLS) soooo.... Anyways, don't forget to vote and comment! Have a wonderful day!