35. Proposal (Final)

3rd Person POV

   Maxon fiddled with his tie for the hundredth time as he took a deep breath.

   A maid in the room smiled sadly as Maxon stared longingly at the ring that he had kept in his pocket.

   He had actually grabbed the ring and stuffed it in his pocket moments before the Rebel attack happened. He was going to propose to Y/N that day, but unfortunate events happened.

   "I don't know if I can do this," Maxon said to the maid, whose name was Lucy.

   Lucy smiled sadly. "Miss Y/N will love it, Your Majesty," she said respectfully.

   Maxon grimaced. 

   He hadn't forgotten the deaths of his parents, but the title "King" seemed foreign to him. After all, he wasn't supposed to be King yet.

   "That's not what I'm worried about," Maxon said through gritted teeth. "I'm worried I might mess up. I'm probably gonna trip down the stairs or something."

   Lucy giggled. "That's not going to happen, Your Majesty. You'll be fine," Lucy reassured him quickly after seeing his face.

   Maxon nodded and stood up from his chair. "Right. Well, wish me luck," he said.

   Maxon pushed the doors open simultaneously and saw all the staff lined up in the hallway. Maxon stood up straighter and bowed his head occasionally as he passed.

   As he neared the end of the hall, he found the iconic trio at the end.

   However, the trio had become a duo due to the attack.

   "Hello, Your Majesty. We are here to escort you to Miss Y/N," one of them, Fawn, had said meekly.

    Her shyness and anxiety had come back after Layla's death.

   Evelyn stayed silent as Maxon stopped but still gave him a curtsy.

   It was said that Layla, the oldest of the three, had sacrificed herself for the younger females by distracting the Rebels to let the duo escape.

   Maxon gave a nod as they neared the gardens. The place where he was going to propose on the day of the attack.

   Aspen was waiting near the double doors along with America and the other Selected girls, including Marlee, Tiny, Elise, and many others. 

   America stepped forward and handed a bouquet of f/f to Maxon. "Here. They're Y/N's favorites," she said softly.

   Aspen reached out and slapped Maxpn's back lightly while muttering something on the lines of "take good care of her."

   Maxon drowned out the other messages of encouragement as he saw a peek of the garden. Maxon finally gathered the strength and took long strides towards the tall bushes before stopping.

   "Y/N," he said confidently, "I know you probably already know what's happening, but I wanted to do this properly. There really isn't anyone as good as you... No offense to the others that were Selected. You're always a ray of sunshine, and you always know how to lift me up when I felt down. Wow, this sounds like a wedding vow."

   Maxon rubbed the back of his neck and continued. "Remember our first kiss?" Maxon blushed at the thought but continued. "I wanted to propose to you that night, and I'm not sure why I didn't. It was probably because I was too nervous, but I'm always nervous around you. You make my knees weak, darling. Ever since I saw you the night before I was to meet all of you... Let's just say I was a boy in love.

   "I want you to know that I will love you until the rest of eternity, darling. I will cherish all of our memories until the last breath I take, and I promise to never forget any of our moments together. I just..."

   Maxon choked back his tears as he gave a sad smile. "I just love you so much, Y/N."

   Maxon then kneeled and took out the box containing the beautiful diamond ring inside. "Will you, Y/N L/N, marry me?"

   There was no answer.

   Because of course, tombstones can't talk. 

654 words! Alas, it is the finale of Y/N and Maxon's story. I know this chapter was VERY short, and I am very sorry for that... :(((((( I just had no idea what to write, but I had the chapter idea set. I was going to give this story a happy ending because happy endings are fun, but I honestly get kind of bored with happy endings? Like, they're so cliche and stuff... So I wrote a sad ending instead! Also, thank you so SO much for reading this story, and I love you all very much! Stay safe, and have a wonderful day!