13. The Eliminations

"Lady Y/N," Fawn said timidly. "It's time for dinner."

   I looked up from my book and smiled at her. "Alright," I replied, placing my bookmark in my book before closing it.

   Evelyn came in with a dark purple dress that went below my knees. "Here you go, Miss," she said, handing the dress to me.

   I eagerly took it from her went to the bathroom to change.

  The trio followed behind me as I opened the door. They helped me take off my day dress (is that what they're called?) and helped me into my evening dress.

   The dress flowed as I slid it on, and Layla zipped it up while Evelyn held my hair. Fawn put a little lip gloss on my lips.

   They all backed away from me as they finished up.

   Evelyn smiled brightly and clapped. "Aw! You look so pretty, Miss!" she exclaimed excitedly.

   Layla nodded in agreement and went to get a pair of high heels. "Here, Miss," she said, kneeling on the floor to put them on for me.

   I immediately stopped her. "You don't have to do that for me! You already help me way too much," I said, helping her up.

   She nodded and looked to Fawn and Evelyn, who also nodded. "Yes, Miss," they chorused, which made me think they practiced it.

   "Thank you," I said, sighing.

   They curtsied and left the room, letting me gaze at myself in the mirror. "Wow," I mumbled. "Maybe I'm not as ugly as I thought."

   I set out a sigh and exited my room, making my way downstairs to the dining hall.

   "Y/N!"

   I turned around and saw Marlee waving excitedly. I waved back and stopped so she could catch up.

   "Hello," I greeted.

   She hugged me and smiled. "Hello to you, too!" She linked arms with me and practically dragged me down the stairs.

   "How was your sleep?" I asked.

   Marlee sighed dreamily. "It was amazing! I dreamed I was with the prince," she explained, "and he took me out on a date!"

   I chuckled a bit and cocked my head to the side as she rambled on about the prince.

   "You must really like him," I said, looking at her.

   She sighed dreamily again. "Yeah, I do. I really do."

   I smiled at her dreamy figure and nodded. "It must be nice to feel like that," I said softly, looking down at my heels.

   Marlee looked at me with a shocked face. "What do you mean? You like Prince Maxon, too... right?"

   I bit my lip softly. "Can I tell you a secret?" I said.

   Marlee nodded immediately. "Of course! You can tell me anything!" she said. She then put a hand to her heart. "I swear I won't tell!"

   I smiled at her enthusiasm. "Well... that truth is..." I looked around, making sure no one was around us. "My mom's sick."

   Marlee blinked. "Oh, really? That's your secret?"

   I shook my head and lowered my voice. "My mom's sick, and because I am- or was a Six, I didn't have any money to pay for her treatment and-"

   "And in order to get the money, you signed up for the Selection..." Marlee finished, looking at me with some pity.

   I nodded. "Exactly."