CH 6- After School Friendships

Nathan POV- 

*After School*

After changing in the locker room, I walk out to see Wyatt already on the field stretching. I look into the nearby bleachers and see Adelaine with Dylan and Katie. She looks like she is doing homework while the twins are babbling on to each other. 

God, my angel looks beautiful. 

What? Shoot, I can not be saying things like that. She won't even talk to me.

Focus Nathan, you're here to help Wyatt, not check out his sister.

I shake my head and continue my walk to the middle of the field and Wyatt. 

"Hey Wy! You ready to get throwing?" I ask as I give him a bro hug

"Heck ya, OC. Let's get this show on the road." He replies excitedly.

I like this kid. He seems genuinely excited to get better at the sport and I respect that. These days, players are just playing for fame, and they sure as hell don't respect the sport. This kid isn't like that though, and I'd bet his dad played. Usually respect for a game is taught by experience. I decide to ask him about it while we are doing some light throwing to warm up. 

"Hey, kid. Did your dad play football? You've got some raw talent and that's usually due to genetics." He looks surprised at my question, until his face lights up at the mention of his father. 

"Ya! He was also a quarterback. It's how I knew I wanted to play football. He had me throwing the ball around out back since I was 4. He taught me everything I know about football. He used to say 'kids these days don't understand that football is a respectable game and should be played as such.' He played in college and was really good, said he would've gone on to the NFL except that my mom got pregnant with Adelaine and he didn't want to be away from his family that much." His smile was huge as he talked, but there was sadness behind his eyes. 

"He sounds like a really good man. Your mom must've been an angel to put up with all that, football guys are pretty hardcore. Why don't you bring him out next time we throw, I would love to meet him." I watched his smile fall from his face as I said the last part. 

Shit! What did I say? He sounded like him and his dad have a good relationship.

He looked over at Lainey and the twins, sighing before turning back and replying to me.

"My parents died a little less than 2 years ago. They were in a car crash, we were all at home being babysat by Lainey. They were on their way back from a business dinner but the roads were too icy." He said, with tears in his eyes. 

"Oh, I'm sorry man. That can't be easy on you." I replied. 

What the heck am I saying? How do I respond without making him feel worse. 

"Ya, it was the worst year of my life. Lainey took it the hardest, though. My parents were on that road because they were going to get her a treat for babysitting us. And for some messed up reason she blames herself. We've tried everything to convince her it's not, but she just shuts us down and says she doesn't want to talk about it. My uncle sure as hell doesn't help her in that department."

Hmm they must live with their Uncle now.

I see a tear rolling down his cheek as he reminisces about his parents, but a there's a hint of anger in his eyes about his uncle. 

WAIT! What the hell is their uncle saying to my angel?

"What do you mean your unc..." I was interrupted by Lainey running over to Wyatt.

"Wy, are you ok? Why are you crying bud?" Suddenly she turns on me, looking like a protective mama bear. 

"What the hell did you say to him?" I'm about to defend myself when Wyatt steps in.

"Calm down Lainey, I'm fine. Nate didn't do anything wrong, he just didn't know mom and dad were dead." He says to his sister.

"Oh." She replies sadly, finally understanding why he was crying. 

"Sorry, Nate," She turns to me.

"No problem. But Angel, you don't have to worry about me like that. I would never do anything to hurt you or your siblings. You can trust me." She just looks at me, an emotion crossing her face that I couldn't quite place, before she tamps it down and turns back to Wyatt making sure he is ok. 

____________________

Adelaine POV-

I was trying to get some homework done while listening to the twins blabber on about something as the boys were warming up. 

Wyatt looks happy.

 I thought to myself, maybe Nathan would be good for us. I mean he could help Wyatt with his football and it would be good for the twins to have a strong male figure in their lives. 

Maybe I should just take the risk and give him a shot... Or maybe not. 

I think after I look up again to see Wyatt close to tears. I quickly run down, ignoring the pain in my leg. 

"Wy, are you ok? Why are you crying bud?" I ask, holding his face in my hands. Then I turn to the jerk who made him cry. 

"What the hell did you say to him?" I ask angrily, waiting for a reply. But I here Wyatt's voice first. 

"Calm down Lainey, I'm fine. Nate didn't do anything wrong, he just didn't know mom and dad were dead." He says. 

"Oh." I say, with a hint of sadness in my voice. 

I immediately relax and turn back to Nathan. "Sorry, Nate."

"No problem. But Angel, you don't have to worry about me like that. I would never do anything to hurt you or your siblings. You can trust me." He says to me. Once he finished talking I feel... safe? Hearing his words makes me want to just jump in his arms and let him take away all my problems. 

No, I can't be weak. The kids need me. 

I quickly shove away my emotions and turn back to Wyatt, making sure he is alright. After him assuring me, many times, I finally go back to the twins and leave the boys to their football. 

Is it really that easy? He looked so sincere when he said he would never hurt us. What if I trusted him? 

"Hmph, Maybe I'll actually give this friend thing a shot." I say quietly to myself.