CH 42- Bumps and Bruises

Adelaine POV-

*Friday, 9:45 p.m.*

Staring down at my phone, I look at my messages for the hundredth time that night. 

Unknown: "It should have been you, but that time will come soon enough. You will finally get what you deserve."

I know I should have told Nate about it, or really anyone, but I just couldn't. I'm so sick of dealing with all of this and there was no way I was going to mess with Nate's head before the big game. Knowing him, he would've skipped the whole game, locked me in the house, and not slept until he found whoever sent the text. There was no way I was letting that happen.

"Laine. You've been looking at that thing all night. What's up?" Candace asks from beside me. I quickly turn off my phone and shove it in my back pocket. 

"Nothing. I was just reading the live scouting reports." I lie. I don't think she believes me, but her accusations are interrupted by screaming fans. 

"And there we go again, folks. Our favorite hometown boy, Nathan O'Conner with another beautiful touchdown pass to #42, Hayes Smith." I hear an announcer say.

"Now, Jim. I've seen this boy play since he was just a little thing, but I have never seen him play like this." A different one says. 

"I think you're right, Stan. He has thrown for over 750 yards and we still have 7 minutes left in the last quarter." The original one, Jim, announces. 

"Amazing. And we are back with another defensive steal from Kevin Jones. Texas Bay is crushing the South High Cougars, 28-6." Stan finishes. 

I turn my attention back to the field and see Nate waving his hands at me. Not understanding what's happening, I follow his pointing finger to where Wyatt is putting his helmet on and talking to the coach.

He's going in?

Wyatt and Nate informed me that since the game was meant to be a rough one, Wy probably wouldn't play. But seeing as how my man has killed it and they are up by so much, I guess the coach decided to show off Nate's utility skills. Meaning my little brother goes in as quarterback.

"Dear Lord, don't let him get hurt." I pray. Candace just chuckles and wraps her arms around my shoulders. 

"Relax Laine. He'll do great." She says. 

I once again resume watching the defense and wait for the ball to turn over. It does just that a few moments later, and our boys are going back out to the field. As they break their huddle, I see Johnny give Wy a slap on the back and they all line up. 

I watch the ball snap to Wyatt and see the play begin. Nate and Hayes each run opposite directions, trying to get past defenders. Johnny is blocking a giant of a man and Keith seems to be doing the same for a slightly less intimidating one. I watch Wyatt bounce around until he pulls his arm back and lets the ball fly. All eyes follow its motion until it enters into Nate's hands, who runs it all the way to the 40. 

Cheers erupt all around us and Candace gives me an 'I told you so' look. I just shake my head and clap, along with Katie and Dylan, for our brother. They do a similar play and get another touchdown. The possession turns back and forth between the two teams, but when Texas Bay has the ball again, with only a few minutes left in the game, everything seems to start moving in slow motion. 

The ball had just been snapped into Wyatt's hands. I watch as Nate and Hayes take off again. But suddenly, two of the blockers slip and fall. I see their men running towards Wyatt, one in front and one in back. I watch in dread as the one from behind dives low and the other dives high. My little brother is thrown to the ground as gasps come from all around me. The refs blow their whistles and the stadium goes deadly silent.

I stare with my hands over my mouth at my brother, who is unmoving on the field. His team goes after the guys and a fight breaks out, but all I can think about is how my brother hasn't moved. 

I watch Nate push through the sea of players and run over to him. Pushing past spectators, I move to the very front of the bleachers, getting as close to the field as security will allow. I just stand there and wait, watching Nate, the coach, and the trainer talk to my brother. I can't see him from here, but he hasn't stood up yet, so it can't be good. 

Please get up. Please, God, let him get up. 

________________________

Wyatt POV-

Holy Fucking Shit. Gosh, that hurts so bad. 

I was prepping to throw the ball to Nate in the end zone when out of nowhere, I'm hit from behind and the front. I remember flipping, in what seemed like slow motion, and the crowd going silent. I think I blacked out for a second or two because now I'm laying on the ground with my coach, a trainer, and Nate hovering over me. 

"Wy? Bud, talk to me please." Nate pleads with concern in his voice. 

"I don't see anything broken. I think he got the wind knocked out of him, possible concussion, and he might've bruised a few ribs. The knee might be sprained, but it could also just be tweaked." I hear the trainer tell my coach before he turns to me. 

"Wyatt? Can you hear me?" He asks, shining a bright light in my eyes. 

I try to move my head away but just let out a low groan when the motion sends sharp pains throughout my body. The good news is, I'm starting to get breath back in my lungs, so I just stay still for a few beats before looking at Nate. 

"Laine?" I croak, he looks to the stands and nods. 

"Scared out of her mind. You going to be ok?" He asks me.

"Ya, I'm good. Just a few bumps and bruises. Help me up before my sister has a heart attack." He chuckles before standing and slowly pulling me up. 

I place most of my weight on him and off my hurt right knee. As I stand, slow claps come from the crowd before the whole stadium erupts into applause. I wince in pain when I take a step, but forget it when I see Lainey's worried, but now relieved face. 

"Damn, man. She's going to kill me." Nate says with a surprising amount of fear in his voice. 

"Judging by that glare on her face, I don't doubt it." I say back and laugh at his wince. 

I slowly limp my way over to where my sister is standing in the bleachers. Thank goodness security wouldn't let her down or I'm pretty sure she would have killed not only the two assholes that did this, but also James and Todd, for letting their men get through. Once we are in shouting distance her 'worried mom' face is clear as day. 

"Wyatt. Oh my goodness, please tell me you are ok. I was so scared." She franticly says. 

"I'm fine, Laine. Nothing but a few bruises. See, I can move just fine." I say, lifting my arm up and hiding my wince of pain. Apparently I didn't hide it well enough because her  worried face turns to one of anger, directed right at her loving boyfriend.

"You!" She seethes.

"You told me he was not going to get hurt. I told you to protect my brother, Nathan. And where are those two idiots who fell on the ground, I am going to give them a piece of my mind. Damnit, I didn't catch the numbers of the other two assholes. Wyatt, who were the other boys? I'm going to give them a stern ass kicking and see how they like it." She spits out, her anger directed to each party 'involved'. 

"Angel, calm down. Look. He's fine, ok. It's a football game, hits happen." Nate says in a calming voice. I can see my sister wanting to argue again, but she must realize the people around her staring because her face softens. 

"Damn. You're right. But don't scare me like that again or you both are sleeping outside. Now please go sit down Wyatt and where is that trainer, he needs to be bringing you ice." She finishes, in full on mom mode again. 

"I love that woman." I hear Nate say under his breath as we both chuckle and turn back to the bench. Now that my back is turned to the crowd, I don't try to hide my wincing in pain. 

Jesus, this hurts. It is going to be a long night.