CH 34- The Fallout

Nathan POV-

"WE aren't going to do anything because THIS isn't your problem, Nathan." Lainey says to me angrily.

Not my problem? How can she say that?

I'm more mad than I've ever been and I honestly don't know why. It must be because I feel hopeless since she won't let me help, but I'm like blackout angry right now. 

I'm mad at her uncle for being an abusive bastard. I'm mad at Candace and Wyatt for not telling me. At Adelaine for not calling the police. Hell, I'm even pissed with Keith for calling me on my shit. I don't even know what I'm saying right now and I'm definitely not processing anyone else's emotions. That has to be the only reason I say my next words.

"See that's where you're wrong. This is my problem. You made it my problem the second you brought all your shit into my life. So you want to stand there and continue to get beat the fuck up by some old man. Fine, be my guest. But don't come crying to me when it gets to be too much." I all but spit in her face.

The shocked gasps and movement around me doesn't even register in my mind and when Wyatt moves his sister behind him and lets out a low growl, I get even more mad. 

"The fuck did you just say to my sister?" He asks in a menacing tone.

"You heard me. I tried to help you all, but if you want to live your crappy lives then go ahead. I just wish I would've known about all this before you RUINED MY FUCKING FRONT DOOR." I yell the last part and pick up some random mug next to me, throwing it across the room. 

Still, nothing registers. That is until I hear Katie's quiet words between sobs. 

"I heard yel-lliing like whe-hen Unc-cle would come ho-ome. I want-tted to make su--rre you were o-oo-okk." She stammers out. 

My mind is immediately turned back on and everything that just happened comes rushing back.

You bastard.  

"Oh my god. What did I just do? Katie, are you ok?" I ask, still confused at how mad I got. 

I move to go see if Katie is ok, but Lainey stops me by holding up a hand. My words and movement seem to shock everyone else into motion because Wyatt runs to his sister, Candace towards the kitchen, and my three friends come and start pushing me outside. Once they get me past the threshold, ignoring the still mess of my front door, I'm about to argue to get back inside but Keith stops me. 

"Take a walk Nathan. You need to blow off some steam or something. Just. Just go take a walk." Keith says to me, shock still obvious in his words.  

I move to ignore him because I don't want to leave like this, but when I look into Lainey's eyes all I see is fear and betrayal. Knowing that I did that to her, I just hang my head and walk down the driveway. Leaving my family alone to clean up my mess. 

I don't know where I'm headed nor do I know what time it is, but I just walk and think about what just happened. 

This wasn't how tonight was supposed to go. I was going to tell her I love her and we were going to get going with our forever. 

You did tell her, dickwad. 

Shit! I told her that out of spite. The first time I said I loved her, I said it out of spite and she said it to me too. I just left the girl of my dreams crying in my house because I'm too much of a selfish bastard to see how much it took for her to finally tell me everything. 

Ya, she should have told me earlier. And she really needs to tell the police, but there was no reason for me to react like that. I probably just lost the girl who I wanted by my side for the rest of my life, in a fight that took less than an hour.