CH 13- Moving Forward

Adelaine POV- 

*1 week later* 

After our date, Nate and I have been getting closer. I still don't know exactly what we are, in terms of labels, but I am perfectly content with my current situation. 

Nate's been amazing. He insists on opening every door, carrying my books, and the few times we've hung out after school he always pays, even if it's 'my turn'. Really, he's been acting the same way he did on our first 'date' and I am loving it!

He's also been hanging out with my siblings a ton too, especially Wyatt. They have really bonded and Nate has helped him improve his football so much. Tryouts are next week and I'm so excited but really nervous for him. Those varsity guys are really big, but Nate told me he won't let anything happen to him. 

All my siblings really love him. 

If I'm being honest, I'm starting to too. 

But, I can't think about that, especially since he's been asking more questions recently. 

My uncle's abuse hasn't gotten any better and Nate is starting to notice something is up. He questions every bruise I come to school with and always inspects whatever major injuries I have. I assume he knows my lies about 'being clumsy' and 'running into the door' are fake, but he hasn't said anything yet. 

Wyatt is NOT helping in that department. Every time I tell a lie about the abuse, he just glares at me and when we are alone tells me off about it. It's getting harder, but I am still able to keep him in his room when it usually goes down. I've found the best way is to guilt him by saying 'Katie needs you' or ' you have to protect Dylan'. Sure he's protective of me, but he's a lot more of the little ones, so that usually works. I'm hoping to be able to still keep everything a secret from Nathan but since he's coming around more it's getting harder. 

Since that first day, now every Monday and Friday, the days my uncle doesn't come home, Nathan comes over. It's my favorite part of the week. Usually him and Wyatt cook, then we all watch a movie or two together. After every night, he gives me a kiss on the forehead and we text later on for a little while. 

Girl you are FALLLINGGGGG

________________________

It's now right after school on Friday, and Nate, my siblings, and I are all talking about our weekend plans. 

"Lainey, I was wondering if I could spend the night at Rian's tonight? I'll be home tomorrow morning, because his family has some brunch thing he has to go to." Wyatt asks me.

"Ya, that's fine Wy. I had to pick up a double for tomorrow so why don't you just come by the diner whenever you are through. I was planning on having you, Katie, and Dylan just sit at one of the tables if that's ok. I know it's not the most ideal Saturday, but it would help me out a lot to not have to find a sitter. " They all give me a nod and then I hear Nathan's voice. 

"I could take them for a little while. I'm not doing anything and it would let them run some steam off before chilling at the Diner. We could go see a movie and go back to the diner after lunch." He says to me. 

"Oh, no. I couldn't ask you to do that, I'm sure you have a lot of better things to do on a Saturday. The kids will be fine sitting at the diner." I say quickly, not wanting to be a bother to him incase he decides we are too much to handle.

"it's fine, really. I have absolutely no plans and I love hanging out with these three. Please? It would give me something to do. If I'm home, I'll just end up sitting around and eating a bunch of junk food. You're really the one doing me a favor because I cannot afford to do that with tryouts this close." He whines, looking at me with pleading eyes. I let out a small chuckle and agree.