CH 43- Consequences of Life

Adelaine POV-

*Friday, 10:10 p.m.*

"That was such a good game!" Candace cheers out, as we move to get out of our seats. 

The game ended over 15 minutes ago but we decided to just wait in the stands until the stadium cleared out a bit. I mean, we have to wait for the guys to shower and change anyways, so we thought it was better to just not deal with the crowd. 

"Ya, other than me thinking my brother was going to die, it was great." I reply back, sarcastically. She just wraps her arm around my shoulder and gives me a quick side hug. 

"Ya, that was a bummer. But, he did play great and I even saw some of the scouts writing down his number." She says. That makes my worry go out the window, as I face her in excitement. 

"Oh my gosh! Really!?" I ask enthusiastically. She chuckles and shakes her head. 

"Yes, really. That boy is going places for sure." I feel a sense of pride rush through me. 

"I agree. He's going to do big things. Now let's go get our men and say congrats on the big win!" I tell Candace. 

I grab Katie's hand, while Candace grabs Dylan and we begin to walk to the locker rooms. The stadium has mostly cleared out and I can see some players trickling out of the changing areas, but I'm yet to see anyone from our group. I'm too busy looking for them, so I miss the middle aged man standing a few feet away. 

"Adelaine." He seethes out. My head snaps his way as I realize who it is. 

"Damnit. Candace, stay here." I say sternly, passing her Katie's hand and walking to the man. I smell his telltale sign of cigarettes and alcohol when I get closer.  

"Dorian. What are you doing here?" I ask, positioning myself so I'm blocking his view of the twins and Candace.  

"I could ask you the same question. What makes you think a murderer like you should be around so many people?" He spits out at me. I must be crazy because I just roll my eyes. 

"You know what? I'm not dealing with this right now. I've got a boyfriend and a brother to congratulate. So screw off, uncle." I seethe the last part out and turn my back to start walking away. 

My retreat is halted when I feel a sharp twist on my arm and a cold metal object poked into my ribs. I am held against my uncle's disgusting body, so the gun is out of sight. He tightens his invisible hold and whispers into my ear. 

"You make a move and you're dead." He says. I stay stoic and refuse to look at my siblings and friend. 

"Good. Now here's what's going to happen. We are going to slowly walk over to your little posse. Then, you are going to act completely normal and tell the red-headed bitch you are leaving with me." He states in a deathly calm voice. 

I've got to get out of this.

I make small movements and am about to give him a hard kick when the gun presses deeper into my ribs. I let out a small squeak and can already feel the bruise forming. 

"You don't do exactly as I said. I shoot them all. Starting with those two bratty twins." He says without hesitation. Knowing he would do it in a heartbeat, I go still once again. 

I don't care what happens to me, but my siblings and friends will come out of this unharmed. 

He must realize my thoughts because he nods his head and motions for me to start towards Candace and the twins. I quickly put on a fake smile and untense my muscles. Placing on the mask I've always had to wear around the twins, in regards to my uncle. I think up a lie fast, remembering Candace doesn't actually know what my uncle looks like.

"Hey CeeCee. Could you do me a favor and take the twins over to Nate? I completely forgot I have to go with Jon here to pick up some tri-tip. I ordered a bunch to surprise Wyatt and completely spaced. Luckily he came here to remind me." I tell her in a fake tone, doing my best to hide the absolute terror I feel. Hoping she will relay my message, I call my uncle, Jon, because that was the name of a TV character that Wyatt and I always thought was an exact replica of my uncle. 

It's silent for a moment as she studies me. I can feel the sweat running down my back and the sharp pain from his gun, but I don't move. She remains silent for a few moments, but then hesitantly speaks up. 

"Are you sure I can't go with you? I mean Nate did tell us to stay together." She says with skepticism. I just wave her off. 

"No, no. It's all good." Deciding that, hopefully, Nate will know something is up, I slip in a little lie. I can't rely on the twins because I'm blocking their view of his face, so this is my only chance. 

"Nate knows I have to go get the food. I told him before what I had planned and he was actually the one that ordered it and told Jon here to help me bring it home." I say. She studies me again, but then slowly relaxes a bit.

"Well ok then. Just text me when you get to the place and when you leave. We will see you at home." She replies.

I can tell she is still a bit hesitant to leave, but she grabs one of the twins' hands in each of her own and walks off to the locker rooms anyways. When she is out of earshot, the gun is pressed even further into my ribs and he pulls my hair back. 

"Walk." He sneers. 

I do as instructed and he forces me into the parking lot behind the school. No one parks back here for games because it is reserved for pre-partying. Since it's after the game, no one is in the abandoned lot.  

When I realize we are a safe enough distance from anyone that could get hurt, I do a quick turn and knee him in the groin. Watching him fall to the ground in anguish, I never turn my back, and fast walk away from him. Constantly keeping my eyes on my deranged uncle, I never notice his equally deranged best friend behind me.

I am enveloped by the potent smell of weed right before I feel a blinding pain in the back of my head. Darkness takes me away and the last thing I see are the smiling faces of Nate, Wyatt, Katie, and Dylan. Knowing already what my uncle plans to do, I burn their pictures in my mind and let the darkness consume me. 

They're safe, so now it's time to face the consequences of my life.