The Art of Eavesdropping

An approaching clamour of armours stopped the progessing steps of Bhisma. He turned towards the assembled soldiers whom he identified as the ones he sent out to look for Sahadev.

"Praise be to the Kurus," the soldiers said in synchrony bowing to their commander.

Bhisma nodded in acknowledgement and gestured one of them to speak taking notice of Sahadev's absence.

Stepping forward, a soldier intoned lowly," Pardon us, Mahamahim. We were unable to find Rajkumar."

"A boy of ten is able to evade a dozen completely trained soldiers," Disappointment was heavy in Bhisma's words. "Should I order you all to be trained along with the novices once again?"

Their faces flushed in shame. The soldier stuttered out an apology but the group found themselves facing a displeased grimace of their commander.

"I shall deal with you lot later. Now, finding my great grandson requires my attention. Go back to your posts," Bhisma ordered. His gaze fell on Kunti. Her wide tear filled eyes were orbs of amassed grief, fear and expectations as she held onto Madri's boy Nakul who in turn clung to her white saree.

"Pitamah, take me with you. I too shall assist you in looking for Sahadev," Yudhisthir, his great grandson, stared up at him somberly. That expression should not be on a boy who was merely thirteen.

The crackling fire barely muffled the dying screams of his daughter-in-law. Bhisma looked at this broken family before him and resolved to do his utmost to provide them with security and love.

"Tatshree," Vidur's voice was sympathetic. "We should ask the soldiers to bring Bheem and Arjun here so that we can look for Sahadev with rest of the soldiers."

Bhisma nodded, straightening his gait despite feeling his shoulders get heavier. "Samarjit, go get the princes from the camp set up south-"

The words grew fainter as Abhijishya and Sahadev took quick careful strides away from the field. This moment of distraction was all they required to escape. They slowly made their way northwards careful to stay hidden behind trees.

Neither spoke a word to the other; each lost in their own turbulent thoughts. The hot humid weather felt stifling to Abhijishya as she dragged her sore legs over the rough terrain. Although the thick canopy could make one mistake daytime for dusk, it parted in some places allowing scant sun rays to reach the forest floor. The absence of even the slightest breeze intensified the suffocating environment.

They had been walking for an estimated half hour. The soles of her feet had knicks from sharp rocks causing her pain yet she trudged along behind Sahadev. Her garments and loose strands of hair stuck to her skin which was covered in a sheen of perspiration. The jewellery chafed around her neck while her churamani felt unbearable on her head. She gulped trying to relieve her parched throat when she heard the faint gurgling of a stream nearby.

"Sahadev," she breathed heavily from trying to keep up with her brother-in-law's pace. "I can't walk anymore. My feet really hurt. I think I heard a stream or crook nearby. Can we go that way, please?" Her face flushed in embarrassment at the admittance. The time in the comfort of the palaces had damaged her endurance which she built in exile with the Pandavs and Mata Kunti.

Sahadev stopped and blinked as if realising she was his companion all this while then. Taking in her dishevelled appearance, he ushered her to sit on down under a shady sal tree. "Forgive me Bhabishree, I did not realise you were with me," his face bore a remorseful look.