Dying Embers

Warning : If you have trauma related to fire do not proceed. Contains some images which some might find disturbing, some description of death and forest fire.

'Dharma'

The dozing forest came alive to smoke tinged air and fast spreading fire. Various animals came out of their shelters to investigate the source of the disturbance. Fires were not uncommon. They had seen the forest dwelling Nagas, Gandharvas, daityas and danavas lighting small fires; singing and dancing merrily around them. The shrieks of the birds alerted them that the unthinkable has happened. Frightened, the hunter and hunted, both ran amuck. Hoards of deer, buffaloes, lions, elephants, boars, hyenas, tigers and jackels ran around trying to escape the creeping flames that threatened to swallow them whole.

They envied the birds that screeched and flew upwards into the safety of the heavens above

They envied the birds that screeched and flew upwards into the safety of the heavens above. But it was shortlived as a plethora of arrows struck down every bird that had dared to escape the burning boughs. Amidst this choas, the Brahmin stood calmly. His eyes contained a barely restrained hunger while his lips were curled in a satisfied smile as the flames lapped on the living and non-living alike. But it was not enough.

Closing his eyes, the Brahmin recalled his true nature. Steam rose from his form as his flesh started to melt away. Discarding his mortal shroud, Agnidev emerged in all his glory burning with pure energy. He expanded and merged with the fire set by Arjun's arrows. He moved unfettered, devouring hungrily, twisting and swaying through the woods leaving behind charred remains.

'Dharma

'Dharma.'

A Nag woman limped blindly towards their King's wife who was standing unnaturally still watching their settlement burn. "RaniMaa (Queenmother), we need to get out. Nagraj is away to Kurukshetra at this hour of peril. The Nagas need you. Our children, RaniMaa," the Nag woman coughed up blood. Nagrani showed no change in expression. "Vimla's five sons are lost to the flames. We need to get out." The suffocating air didn't allow her to speak anymore. Heaving for breath, she knelt infront of her queen. "Save them." The lifeless body toppled over before Ranimaa's feet.