The Deceiving Damsel

Abhijishya woke up abruptly to calls of 'Arjun'. She found everyone standing with worried faces.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Arjun said he heard something then took off running in that direction without taking anyone of us with him," Yudhisthir replied.

"I'll go after him," Bheem said.

"No, it is an enchanted forest. We must remain together, Bhrata," Abhijishya cautioned.

"Yes putra. Let us all go then," Kunti said.

"I'll uproot every tree, Mata. Don't worry we'll surely find Arjun," with that Bheem uprooted a huge tree and held it above his head.

"Bhrata Bheem?" asked Nakul.

Abhijishya walked forward to find Arjun accompanied by a beautiful maiden. 'Hidimba,' Abhijishya thought and smiled knowingly.

 'Hidimba,' Abhijishya thought and smiled knowingly

Hidimba in disguise

"Mata, earlier I heard the cries of this devi. I found her sitting alone and sobbing. Her family was devoured by the Rakshasas of this forest. So I have brought her here in your asylum," Arjun explained.

Kunti walked in front of the maiden and said," You don't have to be afraid anymore putri. I trust my sons' capabilities. They will protect you." Then embraced her.

"Thank you so much," the disguised Hidimba cried as she hugged Kunti back.

"Of course, Bhrata Bheem will definitely protect you. But you'll need your two hands for that, Bhrata," Arjun said.

"Huh? Oh." Bheem had been staring at the maiden till then. He threw the tree aside and said," Yes, of course, I'll protect you. When Mata is saying, of course I'll protect you," he grinned.

Abhijishya stopped herself from giggling out loud. It was so fun to see Bheem flustered. She exchanged an amused look with Arjun.

Kunti smiled and wiped her tears. "What is your name putri? How did you and your family end up in this forest?"

"We had set out for pilgrimage. But we lost our way and ended up in this forest by mistake. And... and then they... the Rakshasas..." she started crying again.

Abhijishya really had to acknowledge Hidimba's acting skills.

"We shouldn't wait here any longer, Mata. Come let us go," Yudhisthir said.

"Putri, will you be able to walk with us? Or do you need to rest for some time?" Kunti asked kindly.

"Of course she'll be able to walk Mata. She was just sitting and crying. She wasn't doing any hard work," Arjun drawled out.

"Arjun! We shouldn't make fun of anyone in distress," Bheem rebuked.

Arjun stifled a smile and said," Forgive me, Bhrata Bheem."