The Divine Deluderess

Abhijishya was embarrassingly late. She blushed thinking of Nakul's insistent touches and twinkling eyes full of mischief. She hurried along the corridors trying to think up the directions she had asked one dasi.

After a few minutes, she arrived in the front of a beautiful temple. Abhijishya hesitantly stepped inside and found Mata Devaki, Mata Rohini, Bhabishree Revati, Rukmini, Jambavati and Satyabhama. They seemed to have already completed all arrangements for the puja.

"Pardon me for the delay. Bhratashree Gopal informed me a bit later than convenient," Abhijishya said hoping no one was offended.

"Come in, come in, putri. It is alright. We should have told you yesterday. Now, come, we have prepared this aarti thali for you. Today I wish you do aarti to Devi Ekanamsha,"Mata Devaki said.

Abhijishya nodded but was inwardly panicking. She had no idea what mantra or hymn she needed to say. Heck, she didn't even know which deity was Ekanamsha Devi. This was the first time she even heard the name. She should've asked Gopal about it. Gopal always knew what she doesn't know then why didn't he tell anything about Ekanamsha Devi.

"See, I told you jiji, Arya must have informed Abhijishya later," Jambavati said to Rukmini.

Abhijishya felt a bit guilty because her delay was not entirely Gopal's fault. Well, he didn't prepare her for this so it served him right.

"Arya must have some reason for his delay. Now, let us begin aarti. We have to prepare lunch after this too," Rukmini said.

Abhijishya sighed. Looks like all the worst first impressions of her life were reserved for her visit to Dwarka.

"Mata, I don't know any mantras or hymns of Ekanamsha Devi," she said. "Honestly, I do not even know who Ekanamsha Devi is."

Everyone looked stricken at her admission. As if she had spoken of something completely unnatural.

Mata Rohini was the first to smile reassuringly. "It is fine. Of course, in your homeland you must have worshipped different Gods and Goddesseses."

She gestured towards the carvings of the walls of the temple and said,"Devi Ekanamsha is the Sleep, born of Lord Vishnu's body and carries out the instructions of Vishnu. Of diverse forms, of the form of time, she is enveloped in black clouds. She is Kali, able to assume any form, and the friend of Samkarsana, the destroyer of all. She is the sister of the great Indra and Vishnu, the night of total destruction between kalpas. She is the Great Deluderess."

'Mahamaya,' Abhijishya realised. She looked carefully at the three statues standing in front of her. In the middle was Ekanamsha devi with Samkarsana which is definitely Adi Shesha to the right and Vishnu to the left.

"I know about her

"I know about her. She is called Devi Mahamaya in my homeland," Abhijishya said.

Mata Devaki looked pleased. "Then there is no need for anymore delay. Here, putri, do aarti to Devi Ekanamsha."