Of Spars and Fights

Nakul woke up to early rays of the sun as the dasis removed the curtains. He turned to find an empty bed and furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Generally he was the one to wake up first except for the nights Abhijishya had trouble sleeping (which were rare.)

"Dasi, do you know where is  Abhijishya?" he asked.

"Pardon me Rajkumar. I am not aware of Rajkumari's whereabouts. Perhaps I could ask the dasis who were supposed to stay near your chambers at night?" said a dasi with bowed head.

"Yes. Find out and let me know as soon as possible," Nakul said. He suppressed a groan and leaned back against the pillows once again. He didn't like starting his day without seeing his beloved's face. He pondered  what could've happened that Abhijishya left the bed without waking him. He was a warrior so naturally he was a light sleeper. Although he was quite tired yesterday, he should've woken up to the tinkling of her anklets.

It was almost time for his sword skill practice. He had to bathe and then offer his daily prayers to Mahadev. So without further wasting his time, Nakul got up. That was when he noticed that Abhijishya's anklets along with all the jewellery she wore yesterday were still there where she had taken off and kept before going to bed. He was about to leave for the bathing room when two dasis appeared.

"Pranipaat Rajkumar, yesterday night Rajkumari asked Charu here to show her the way to the seaside," the dasi said.

"Where is she now?" Nakul asked.

Charu joined her hands and replied with her head bowed," I think Rajkumari is still there. After I took her to the beach, she asked me to return back to the servant quarters. None of us have seen Rajkumari in the palace this morning."

Nakul was beginning to worry.

"Alright. You all may go now," he dismissed them. Making up his mind to seek out his wife, Nakul quickly got ready. He couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed while choosing his clothes to wear for the day. He really liked it when his beloved chose what he would wear as much as he liked to choose her attire.

He walking down the corridor when he spotted his now brother-in-law Vasudev Krishna.

"Pranipaat Bhratashree," Nakul greeted.

Krishna turned back and smiled pleasantly. "Where are you off to this morning, Nakul?"

"Abhijishya went to the seaside last night and still hasn't returned. So I am going to find her," Nakul said.

"Ah yes, she seemed agitated last night. I spoke to her and left her to her pondering," Krishna said.

"You spoke to her then? Did she say what upset her?" Nakul asked trying to hide the little hurt he felt because his Abhijishya approached Krishna instead of him.

Krishna smiled knowingly and said," I sought her out. By the sea, she was simply pondering on a situation she came across."

Nakul felt embarrassed and averted his eyes. Bhrata Arjun was right when he said that his Madhav always knew what one was thinking. Instead he asked," What situation, Bhratashree?"

Krishna told him what Abhijishya found out about Charu. Nakul was confused. "But it is law that a person unable to fulfill his or her debt has to spend their life in service to whom he or she owes till their debt is considered over. If that person is unable to then it is passed on to their immediate family who can claim rights to that person's property. What is wrong with that?"

"The law at it's base is quite functional and effective Nakul. It is fair too but you as well know that not all das and dasis are made from this condition alone. Magadhnaresh is known to take every living family member of the defeated side and are made to serve as slaves for three generations. Whereas in some parts, slaves are mistreated; even forced in carnal activities. Abhijishya has just scrapped the top layer of a huge pit Nakul. She is from the land of free thoughts, free opinions and free people. So she does not agree with slavery in any form," Krishna said.